PHUKET INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY DAY SCHOOL (PIADS)

Nomadic Teacher

PHUKET INTERNATIONAL ACADEMY DAY SCHOOL (PIADS)

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

Hi

Does anyone have any info on this school, or has anyone worked there?

Any info would be great!

Cheers,
PsyGuy

Other Reviews

Post by PsyGuy »

There are some recent posts on the school already, search the forum and you shall find them.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Info may be hard to come by, it's a new school. I've been out to the campus while visiting friends in Phuket. The setting is certainly beautiful and the facilities are all new. As long as the admin isn't Thai it would be worth an interview to find out more. Be aware that you would basically have to buy a car if you moved to Phuket, which can really put a dent into your budget.
PsyGuy

Disagree

Post by PsyGuy »

You dont need a car, taxies are plentiful, and cheap, and a scooter is better, and all you really need.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

As a person who has spent a lot of time in Phuket over the last 3 years I can honestly say that taxis are anything but cheap. Phuket is very touristy, so the taxi company takes full advantage of this. You can rid in tuk-tuks which can be cheaper, but you share those with others. Believe me, you will need/want a car there.

Now in Northern Thailand is where you'll find cheap, but you will not find that in Phuket.
PsyGuy

Sigh

Post by PsyGuy »

You Americans and your cars. First let's differentiate between "need" and "want". They are not remotely the same thing. Phuket is a very accessible city, many tourists come to Phuket every year and they don't bring cars with them. Many hais get around just ine with either a motorcycle, or pulic transportation. Are Taxis as cheap in Changmai, no, but compared to DC or NYC yeah they are very cheap, the entire cost of living in Thailand is very low.
Owning a car will cost you a lot. First you will constantly get ripped off on repairs, as a foreigner, and your car if it's anything except a German model, and it's a Photon or something will constantly need repairs. Second, driving in Thailand, and Phuket, is crazy, seriously, traffic lights and signs are suggestions only. If you are ever, ever, ever, ever in an accident you will be at fault, because your the foreigner, and you cold easily be held responsible for lifelong care, and income loss.

I had a good friend in BK who was in an accident, he'd been drinking a little and bumped the car in front of him. There was no damage to the vehicle, but the family of 3 all had "neck injuries" the wife couldn't work any more, and the kid couldn't concentrate in school because of the pain, and would need to go to a private school that could accommodate his disability. His lawyer told him to leave, because hed likely be hit with paying damages for the rest of their lives.

A lot of things that would normally be considered civil matters like defamation, are actually crimes in Thailand, things like traffic accidents always have someone criminally responsible. I don't mean crimes as in heres a citation, and a fine, that you can go to traffic school for, I mean jail time crimes. If two Thais has a traffic accident, they will work it out, or the police officer will work it out. As a foreigner the police will automatically declare you at fault. That's your trial, right there, you can go to court and appeal the officers decision.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

@ WeDoDude

If this elsewhere in the forums, my apologies. I am considering teaching in Thailand, have you enjoyed your time there?
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

I love Thailand. It's a remarkably beautiful country. The people are very polite and the food, oh my gosh the food! So good! I could live there if given the opportunity, but there would be challenges to overcome and big adjustments that need to be made.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

You cannot live in Phuket using public transportation, period. Phuket is a huge island and consists of much, much more than Phuket city, which may indeed be "very accessible", however that doesn't help much when the beaches, international schools, most good restaurants, etc, are all miles and miles away from the city itself (The school in question, PIA, is 30+km north of Phuket city in an area with zero public transport)

Taxis and tuk-tuks (even motorcycle taxis) DO charge DC and NYC prices on Phuket, in some cases much more! This type of transport is mafia controlled on Phuket, a fact to which the local police admit and is well documented in the Thai press.

Agree somewhat that a person could get by owning a scooter/motorcycle. Most of the expats I know on Phuket have cars.
Nomadic Teacher

Post by Nomadic Teacher »

Lets forget about the car issue and focus on information on the school! :p