Lincoln School - Buenos Aires

nkraai

Lincoln School - Buenos Aires

Post by nkraai »

Anybody have any experience at this school? Is there any possible chance of saving money if you live frugally and don't travel all the time?

I would be interested in Central/South America to perfect my Spanish and teach, but I am concerned that I won't be able to save anything with a non-teaching dependent in tow.

Are there any places where there may be a decent possibility of savings, like 1/3 of my salary, in Central/South America?
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

It really depends on just how frugal your going to live. Savings often depend more on the individual then on the salary. I know teaches who make close to 6 figures a year and they spend it all.

Salaries range from between 18K-25K USD a year. S/C america isnt really the place to save though, while costs of living are low they require you to live on the economy. If you have bills back home or require a lot of imports and western conveniences a salary in S/C america will not go far. Having a trailing spouse isnt going to help much, you really need to consider that there isnt going to be a lot for them to do with their time that will be free or cheap. I suppose if you were REALLY frugal and stayed/ate at home all the time you could save a quarter but I wouldnt like the lifestyle id have to live to save $5K.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Once again, PG is wrong. Check the Search database to see the real figures.

If you were single I would say you could save. If you were both teaching, then definitely. With a dependent, it would be a bit difficult. Buenos Aires and South America are both places you really would want to explore...

Good luck.
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

No they arent. Those averages are within the range of the Search database. S/C america tend to inflate their salaries for reporting purposes. The top salary step for a particular school is usually only a theoretical maximum that you cant really get too.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Sorry Psyguy - have to disagree.

Friends of mine got a job there 4 years ago and both started on salaries a bit over 30k.

Savings potential is very much dictated by lifestyle - the school offers 2 substantial holiday breaks, so if u travel widely in that time, you may end saving little.
PsyGuy

That's life

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats Okay, this forum is for different points of IWW. That's when it works best, when multiple contributors present different perspectives and experiences. It really isn't the PsyGuy forum.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I know it doesn't technically count as Central/South America, but I made almost 30k in Mexico City and that was at the bottom of the salary scale. I saved about a third of my salary each month, and could have saved more.
PsyGuy

It's Okay

Post by PsyGuy »

South, Central, Latin America, Mexico counts.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Of the three schools I mentioned earlier, all pay well over 30,000. My wife worked at one, I have close friends at one and I worked at one.

I also read and asked questions about the Lincoln contract 4 years ago. Over 30k, too. But not close to the other three.

PG is clueless.
PsyGuy

Sigh

Post by PsyGuy »

We are just going to have to disagree.
indogal

Post by indogal »

I have worked at Graded in Sao Paulo. Although the cost of living is extremely high, the salary is rather generous. I also know some people that took on tutoring & sent almost their entire salary home. You are paid in the local currency reals, not US dollars, so that is a consideration, depending on the exchange rate. Needless to say, we all did quite well while we were there.

We ate out at nice restaurants, lived in cute apartments in good neighborhoods, took taxis when we wanted to, and traveled on our breaks.

Please keep in mind you also get a huge amount when you leave the school from the fundo & prevedencia. It is Brazilian law. The longer you stay, the larger the amount.

However, they speak Portuguese in Brazil, not Spanish, so I'm not sure if you are only looking for schools in Spanish speaking countries.
radishflower

lincoln school

Post by radishflower »

Psy Guy, no offence, but why do you answer questions all over the forum when you don't have correct information? I worked at Lincoln until last year. Teacher salaries are roughly 35-45K depending on your number of years and level of ed. That said, inflation is INSANE (about 25% or MORE a year), so every year I made less $. Buenos Aires is expensive. If you are frugal you might save 5,000 a year. Hope that helps.
Glerky

Post by Glerky »

Radishflower... not to burn a bridge here but didn't you just basically say the same thing as Psyguy? His numbers are a bit off but as we all know salary is not important it is savings potential that really matter.

I've been overseas a long time and know many teachers who consider Lincoln to be the dream school. This being said the friends who have landed there have found the salary hard to save on.
teachhunt

Re: Lincoln School - Buenos Aires

Post by teachhunt »

Hello everyone!!! I am applying for jobs and I would like to have an idea on the salary that teachers from Lincoln compared to teachers from other bilingual schools such as Baica receive PER MONTH? Any ideas?