Misconceptions about Teaching overseas

taiwanteacher

Misconceptions about Teaching overseas

Post by taiwanteacher »

A year ago I moved halfway around the world and was anxiously waiting the start of school. What I anticipated and what I found were fairly close, although I did harbor some misconceptions. I'm curious to know what others' misconceptions were.

I'll start with one of mine: I thought it would be challenging to meet people outside of school, and understand the community around me. It took a little initiative, but it has been easier than I anticipated.

What didn't pan out to be quite what you expected?
Eric

learning a foreign language

Post by Eric »

Great question.

My one big misconception (or perhaps it was more a 'hope') was that I would be able to pick up the local language just by living there and without having to take classes. Once there, I quickly realized that teaching in an English speaking environment and socializing mainly with English-speaking expats wasn't getting me any closer to learning the local language. I am not a language person and have always struggled learning them, and have been in awe of some of my colleagues who seem to pick it up so easily.

Going about your day to day life shopping and all that, I found it much easier to read the local languages just by visually seeing it, but in terms of conversation- specifically listening, I really struggled. I've had to come to terms with the fact that I have to take classes, a fact that I resisted for two countries but now accept.