Savings Potential and Safe

taiwanteacher

Like to travel

Post by taiwanteacher »

Like to travel: I totally agree with you and your assessment of Taiwan. I also think that there's much to be discovered here. My husband and I just got back from spending much of the summer roadtripping here armed with only a map and a smattering of Chinese. No problems, and it seems that people everywhere we went bent over backwards to help out. I feel much safer here than back home in the US. I've been able to save a bunch too. Oh for full disclosure I should mention that someone stole the light off my bicycle when I left it at the train station over night.
Last edited by taiwanteacher on Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Compared to the USA just about every country is safer.

@liketotravel

Well there are many cheerleaders on this forum already. If youve been somewhere for 3 years i hope you like it, and have many good things to say about it, otherwise why would you stay there? Whether its Taiwan, Colombia, egypt, the middle east, there are plenty of people who are cheerleaders for their particular country. Ive never been a country longer then two years, and many a lot less then that. I get bored easily, "deep cultural understanding" just isnt something I do (usually my heart gets broken and i move on). My experiences are more short term, and that gives me a different POV. I dont think you need to be in a place very long to not like it, though. Something we have disagreed on several occasions.

I wouldnt say it was as cheap as Colombia, its as cheap at S. Korea, Costa Rica is cheaper then Taiwan in my experience.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Your savings potential increases the longer you stay somewhere. Unless you collect mops and kitchenware.

Comparing the cost of living is difficult unless you were there within a year. I wouldn't know much about china since the foreigner tax was introduced after I left.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

The savings potential of ANYWHERE increases only because the cost of living potential decreases (usually), as you no longer have startup expenses, and you adjust to living on the local economy. I wouldn't really know personally though, I move around too much.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

First of all, I got to say I'm proud of you Psyguy for spelling Colombia correctly!

Yes, I agree everyone who has had a good experience thinks their country is the best. Some people don't get restless like you (I understand I used to be like that) and build deep roots with locals and also find that their personal passions are being met.

To each their own.

Peace :).
KellyGuy

Re: Reply

Post by KellyGuy »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Compared to the USA just about every country is safer.

.[/quote]

That is interesting. I just had a talk with my school's new superintendent, and he said almost exactly the opposite, at least regarding Central and South America.

If I had known how dangerous Brazil is, I would simply not have accepted the job I currently have. I love the school, I like most Brazilians that I have met, but I generally hate living here. People tell me over and over again about not leaving the walled/guarded condo complex at night, unless taking a taxi or maybe a bus. Going down to the beach at night is apparently tantamount to suicide. Same with walking in the nearby dunes area, at any time of the day or night.

Maybe I am spoiled. I lived in the crack ghetto of Madison WI for over 12 years, and I never once felt even remotely unsafe there. I even drove off a few times with my garage door accidentally left open, and nothing was ever stolen.

Here, it is a different story. A parent of one of the students at my school was apparently shot at while driving the kids to school. She survived because she has bulletproof windows in the car or SUV or whatever it is she drives.

This is insane. I want out of here.
PsyGuy

Really

Post by PsyGuy »

Madison, WI, really? Well that's why I wrote just about, but seriously there are more violent crimes in places like NYC and LA. I Suppose it depends what two countries you are comparing. That said I loved my time in Brazil.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

KellyGuy, if you don't mind my asking, what the hell city are you living in? My husband and I have been considering a few schools in Brazil, including Porte Alegre, but we have a very young child, and if it's as dangerous as all that, then forget it.
CGriswald309BC

Post by CGriswald309BC »

First off, let me say I know next to nothing about teaching in international school as I have never done it.

However, I have been to over 35 countries. With that in mind I found every country I visited in South America to be more dangerous than the places I lived/visited in North America, Europe or Asia.

My $0.02.

Edit to say that my experience in South American countries was very similar to KellyGuys. Luckily, I was only robbed once and it was only for some small change. I consider myself lucky. 8)
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

Sevarem, I guess I don't mind saying where I am, which is Salvador. I doubt that any city in Brazil is much different, others would know better.

I did take a walk home in the dark last night after getting a massage (hoping to cure a bad case of tennis elbow, spent R$100 on a massage that didn't help at all). It was about a km from my place, but I went down to the gas station the other way, bought some cigars, and headed back. I'm not an easy target, I would guess.

I'll have to finish out my 2 years here, I guess. Next year I think I will try to live downtown in Porto da Barra.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Brazil is heaven for a single guy!

Wouldnt mind doing 1 contract there.