How soon is too soon?

MissMe

How soon is too soon?

Post by MissMe »

Am already thinking ahead to Search's Cambridge Fair in February 2013, even though I'm still putting the final touches on my application. How quickly does the hotel where the fair is held fill up?

Any other advice for a first time fair-goer will be greatly appreciated.

That is, assuming I get an invite!

:wink:
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

I've already had my reservation since last May. Put it on a credit card- you can cancel within 24hrs or something like that.
MissMe

Post by MissMe »

Thanks, will do.
PsyGuy

Fast

Post by PsyGuy »

Fast, they are usually full before Christmas time
overseasvet2

fair sign up

Post by overseasvet2 »

The first time I tried to attend the UNI fair, it was full by October.
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

There are some that book both venues and release their unused reservations just prior to the fair. But I wouldn't count on that.
MissMe

Post by MissMe »

Both hotel room and plane ticket are booked. Fingers crossed that I'll get an invite...
moose

Post by moose »

According to the SA website, invites will be sent out soon (mid-August) for the Cambridge fair. Then you can make a reservation through their discounted block. I don't know how many rooms the hotel blocks for this, but I assume a fairly large number?

I would also love tips for a first-timer, if anyone out there has suggestions.
MissMe

Post by MissMe »

The woman I spoke with at The Hyatt made a reservation for me at regular rates, but advised that the rate could be discounted once I receive an official invite from Search.

I'm with you, Moose. Any advice welcomed - particularly from those who were first timers last year.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I think the big thing to remember is that you will always be on display during the fair, especially if you're staying at the same hotel. You don't have to be dressed up at all times outside the interviews, but you should look at least presentable. Drink moderately and don't act stupid. Be friendly and willing to chat with anyone in the elevator--that could be your next boss. Take lots of copies of your resume to hand out in casual circumstances. Prepare a 30-second sales pitch for those elevator rides.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Job fairs arent about interviewing they are more like auditions. Your not their to show them you can teach, they already know you can teach, what they are looking for is who has the best fit with their school culture. You really want to be likable, because thats what they are looking for who they like best.

First, come prepared, there is too much to do, and too many candidates, and not enough recruiters or time to come in unprepared. You should be in contact with schools you are interested in WELL before the fair and have slips for appointments already lined up. Know what vacancies are open BEFORE you arrive. Signing up for a slot your not qualified for or not competitive for is a big waist of time at the fair (yours and the recruiter). If your just interested in 10 schools and their high demand schools, you might be devastated to either not get a position with them, or find out by the time fair time comes around all those positions are not available. You should honestly plan to interview with all schools that have your position available, but rank order them in importance to you. The last thing you want to happen is not get offered a position at any schools on your "top 10 list" and have had free time you could have been interviewing with.
You really want to arrive at whatever fair your attending the day before the signup session. Newbies are often surprised (and in some cases upset) by the number of schools that fill positions before the first day of sign up. People interview and get hired before the fair officially starts.

Second, dont be intimidated. Long lines for a particular school can give you the impression you dont have a chance. Understand that most of those people in line are newbies. Well established and experienced teachers dont need to depend on fairs for positions, so most of the people in that line are just as much the same caliber of candidate as you are. If they were really that good they wouldnt need to be there.
Be ready in the elevators, a number of teachers every year get an interview from a conversation in an elevator, and the interview leads to a job offer.
If you didnt get an interview with a school you wanted go to their presentation, ask questions and show enthusiasm. Afterwards talk to the recruiter, sometimes that leads to an interview and job offer as well.
Watch your alcohol consumption but I know several teachers that come 9:00 parked themselves in the bard and "met" up with a recruiter that turned into a interview, and job offer.
You really should consider anytime your not in your room as business time, you should be presentable at all times, and ready to go. Its one reason I dont recommend bringing kids to the fair. You need to be ready to "sell" at any and all times.

Third, In some ways fairs are like a car dealership. Most interviews take place in the admins hotel rooms, they may have a curtain set up, and may video tape or have a webcam set up for a live or recorded feed for other admins back at their school. Discussions and negotiations happen fast. Despite what Search, ISS, and CIS put in their literature, it is very common for a recruiter to make an offer on the spot (Many people walk away with a contract or job from the fair). If you did your planing and are given an early advance interview, the head doesnt want to have to interview 20 or 50 more people if they want you, but they have to wait. They need to make their time "pay off". If you want to consider, they need to continue interviewing. If you accept, they can scratch one position off their roster, and move on. Its important to be very mindful that the fair process is VERY grueling on a head/recruiter, they have many positions and interviews to conduct, and if your not one of the first they are likely to be some what tired of the repetitive process. That being said you shouldnt let your guard down, just dont be surprised if your interviews later in the fair come of a bit hectic and casual. The heads are just tired, and have 100+ faces and resumes in their head.
moose

Thanks

Post by moose »

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can line some things up in advance, and ideally not even have to go to the fair, but this is all good to know!