Search Associates Application - Biographical Information

eion_padraig

Search Associates Application - Biographical Information

Post by eion_padraig »

So I'm just about finished with my Search Associates application, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to include on my Bio section. One of the things I don't really understand is what order/format admin from schools will see my application material.

I'm thinking this is the kind of thing they'll likely look at after seeing the rest of my file and looking at my resume and being at least somewhat interested in me as a candidate. I figure, in some cases they may have seen a cover letter as well if I've applied directly to a school before seeing my SA material.

A few things I've thought about including that are not readily obvious from my other materials, though some may be inferred by a close reading of my and my wife's application materials.

- I grew up in a diverse community with many classmates who were immigrants of the children of immigrants. This gave me an appreciation/understanding of cultures other than my own.
- I took part in a summer exchange in high school which expanded my awareness of the world beyond my country's borders.
- I studied abroad during my junior year in college.
- My wife and I met and lived together overseas.
- I've been studying Chinese first while living in China and in the last couple years for pleasure; I can't claim fluency, but I have language abilities well beyond 'survival' Chinese.
- I have had exposure to foreign countries through international travel for pleasure and international travel for work beyond my time studying abroad and living in China.

Do any of these seem like relevant facts to present in the bio section? What kind of things have others been addressing in the bio section?
PsyGuy

POV

Post by PsyGuy »

You can click on the 'view profile link' to see how recruiters will see it, when they click on the applicant link.

Admins seldom look at the Bio section. The only thing to really put there is skills, that will add value to the school. Things like coaching experience, outside certifications, special technology skills, organization, seminars, training, competitions, publications, etc.

1) No one cares where you grew up, unless it was in the country you are applying too.

2) No ones cares what you did in high school, especially a summer abroad.

3) No one cares about a semester abroad in college, unless it was very recent, and you just graduated, and the county is somehow relevant to the country you are applying too.

4) How long did you live overseas, where, and how long ago? What were you doing there? Could possibly be relevant, but not likely.

5) Is your Chinese proficient, conversational? Either way there is a place under the "other" tab for languages.

6) No one cares that you've been a tourist.

The Bio section is really to expound on things that are worthy of deeper expansion. For instance, if in your travels studying chinese you lived in a monostary in the Himalayas, with monks, that is noteworthy. If you learned your Chinese at Middlebury, that's noteworthy. Just picking up the language and using Rosetta Stone, whatever your language proficiency, not especially noteworthy.
If you coached or assistant coached a 5A high school, and have some All Americans, that's noteworthy. A weekend golf game with your friends or pickup basketball game, not noteworthy. If your were an Olympic alternate or actual member of the Olympic team that's noteworthy. Watched the Olympics, not noteworthy.
If you are a licensed pilot, that's noteworthy. Flown on a plane, not noteworthy. If your a member of the Royal family, that's noteworthy. Friended Kate Middleton on FB, not noteworthy.

See where I'm coming from? To really go in your bio section, something has to be special, and in my experience, most of the experiences you've listed fall under the general, non noteworthy category of 'tourist travel', sorry.

Usually when I see a bio section with a bunch of mundane experiences in it, I think the person is overselling themselves, and doesn't really understand the profession they are applying for, or what value they would add. It's like people who list MS Office under tech experience, it's assumed you already know those software applications, and by pointing it out, you've told me you don't know anything really substantial.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Those skills you mention would seem to be more appropriate to a resume. They specifically state, "This is NOT a place to provide standard resume type information, but a place for recruiters to learn more about you." That is why I'm not sure about the section.

I guess I see "Biographical Information" rather markedly different than "skills" or training, but you may be correct than none of the things I was considering would be relevant. I could for instance see it being relevant if a candidate was a TCK, which would be biographical in nature though this wouldn't be the case for me.

Anyone else want to weigh in with what type of information they have included in the bio section?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Part of my bio was an illustration of my teaching style. Nowhere else in the Search application can you get that type of information across.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Agree with Overhere. Note your classroom management practices, and a bit of your "philosophy of teaching," as well. I also tried to get across my flexibility and ability to adapt. I, too, doubt any recruiter actually has the time or interest to read these things, but you never know...Keep it short and sweet, and for god's sakes check your spelling and grammar.