Which recruiting fair is best for a new teacher and....

livefree

Which recruiting fair is best for a new teacher and....

Post by livefree »

which fair attracts a lot of schools from Europe? (I prefer Europe, but I am open to other locations).

I've been working on my application for Search, but I no longer feel confident because I was told by them that the Cambridge Fair is very competitive and is hard to get an invitation if you are not experienced.
I was going to register with ISS, but I heard many negative things.
Also, I heard that UNI is good for new teachers....thoughts?

Last thing, do all of these recruiting agencies ask for many letters of recommendations? After the Search application, I am embarrassed to ask my supervisors again to write a letter.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Yep, UNI is supposedly good for new teachers. I got my current job there, albeit w some experience, but I can tell you that the were a great group of people to work with. Very friendly and professional. UNI asks for supervisor references as well. Why can't you use the same ones?

When I went to UNI four years ago there were a few European schools there, but not many. AS of London and a school from Barcelona come to mind.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="Trojan"]Yep, UNI is supposedly good for new teachers. I got my current job there, albeit w some experience, but I can tell you that the were a great group of people to work with. Very friendly and professional. UNI asks for supervisor references as well. Why can't you use the same ones?

When I went to UNI four years ago there were a few European schools there, but not many. AS of London and a school from Barcelona come to mind.[/quote]

I've been bombarding my supervisors for letters of references for these recruitment fairs plus schools I am applying for this school year.
I am thinking of skipping Search and just go to the UNI fair and maybe register with Tieonline. Does UNI have a job database? I looked at the list of schools that came from a previous year and I saw a few euro schools like from Cyprus and I think Spain. Glad to hear that you had a positive experience.
PsyGuy

Question

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't know if we've asked, but what's your resume like?

Europe is hard to break into if you don't have IB experience and at least 5 years of IT teaching experience.

Really, Search/Boston isn't that competitive compared to London or Bangkok. UNI is an option that many under experienced and inexperienced teachers get hired at, but there are only a couple European schools there. Most of the UN schools are from S/C America, Asia, and the ME. UNI has a database, but it's not anything like Searches, it's only schools that attend the fair, and the fee for UNI is as much as ISS, and close to Search and it's only for one fair.
Search is about more then the fair, it's the database, of 650 schools and their vacancies.

TIE is a very inexpensive option for you. I get the feeling that that is likely where you will ET offers from, but Europe isn't something you can just walk into.