SABIS Germany

iteach2

SABIS Germany

Post by iteach2 »

I have read some mixed reviews about SABIS, but they were mostly about SABIS in the ME/Asia.
Does anyone know anything about the SABIS schools in Germany?

Thanks a bunch.
PsyGuy

Fast answe

Post by PsyGuy »

If your fine doing someone else's thing, and following a script, and are generally on the lazy side, SABIS schools are great. If you want freedom in lesson planing then SABISis going to make you very unhappy. SABIS schools in Europe have a corporate feel. You feel like your a cog in a machine, and that your individuality is under valued. SABIS schools want presenters and facilitators.
seashell

Post by seashell »

I've met a few teacher's from the school in Neuss. They were all younger and less experienced so they were ok with the system while they were gaining experience. The one experienced teacher I met left after a year as he felt it was too rigid and not best practice. He basically said there is a book that tells you exactly what to do an when. Up until a few weeks ago they still had openings.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I taught at a SABIS school in Europe this past year. I chose to teach at the school because of a few reasons: I didn't have any teaching experience, I wanted to live in Europe (I'm an American), and I needed a job to pay bills back home.

The planning is super easy. You basically read over the material you need to teach, then you just go and teach it. Almost everything is planned for you. This was good for me during my first year because I kind of just wanted to travel, so the job wasn't so bad sometimes.

The other posters would be correct in saying that the SABIS curriculum isn't "best practice." Every class period will be entirely taught using whole-class teaching, i.e., teaching the whole class at once. This was frustrating for me because a lot of my students clearly needed differentiation, but the school frowned upon that. The students are also tested weekly, so if you deviate from the content at all, then your students might not do well on their weekly tests, and you will be blamed.

Teachers at SABIS schools aren't treated like human-beings, but rather, a cog in the machine, which was stated previously by PsyGuy. They only care about results and not about a student's progress.

In conclusion, if you really need a job and want to move to a different part of the world, then maybe taking this job wouldn't be such a bad option. If you think that you will be frustrated (like I was) at the bad teaching practices that must be upheld at a SABIS school, then don't work at a SABIS school. After teaching at one of these schools, I would never go back.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

SABIS isnt all bad. Some experienced teachers actually like the ease of a SABIS school and curriculum. They get to spend more time traveling and doing the tourist thing then working. You dont have to prep, you dont have to design and create material or lessons. Marking is streamlined and easy (you dont have to make the tests, and scoring them is a lot easier then marking papers). If you do your job, keep your head down, and your students do well you wont have any problems with administrators. You come in do your work, deliver your lessons, leave, collect your pay packet. Working at a SABIS school is the closest you can get to leaving your work at school, and forgetting about it once you leave the building.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I mostly agree with you, PsyGuy. However, you DO have to create your own monthly (or bi-monthly) tests. I heard that they were going to change this so that you wouldn't have to create them, but I don't know if that's true. You also have to grade composition exams, i.e., marking papers. Yes, SABIS is good if you just want to travel and forget about your job when you go home for the day. If you want a job that will help you career-wise, then it wouldn't be a good choice.
PsyGuy

Perspective

Post by PsyGuy »

The SABIS school I visited had a test bank software program that created the exams, this was done by the HOD. The product is a new SABIS implementation. I do not know if it has been released as a catalog product, or if it is still in some phase of evaluation/testing.

A significant number of teachers did not assign composition writing tasks, if they were not required too. Given the literature teachers, we're unable to avoid this. A number of teachers cited that they only had to read essays once a year or term.

I suppose it depends what you want to make of your career, and what your aspirations are.
VA75

Alexandru and seashell regarding pay

Post by VA75 »

I was looking into the SABIS Neuss and Frankfurt schools, however they do not post their salaries. In the Information sheet which is posted online it said that salaries must remain "confidential".
I just taught at a school where salaries were at the discretion of the headmaster and bursar, and therefore some got paid more than others for no apparent reason other than nationality. This obviously created some bad feelings amongst the staff.

Alexandru especially - could you speak to this? Once you sign a contract is the pay transparent, or has this created problems? Also, does Sabis try to compete (regarding pay) with schools like FIS?
Thanks for your insight! I have always wanted to pick someones brain who is currently working with Sabis.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

What you described regarding salaries at your last school is what the SABIS school I taught at did. Salaries were confidential. At the beginning of the year, the director made it clear at a staff meeting that salaries were confidential and that we could actually get in trouble if she found out that salaries were being discussed between teachers.

From what I heard from other teachers, the native English-speaking teachers were paid more than the teachers from the host country. This didn't really create problems, but it was sometimes awkward if the topic of money came up in conversation in the staff room or outside of school. Also, there wasn't a pay scale. We had to ask for a raise if we wanted one.

Again, from what I heard from other teachers, the salary at my school was similar to other 3rd-tier (and maybe 2nd?) schools in the area. I thought the benefits package was good for Europe, so I didn't really care.

If you have any more questions, ask away.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Sabis is a curriculum, not a particular line of schools. Pay scales need not be closed, and there are a number of non SABIS schools with closed pay scales. They can also be transparent. Typically schools with closed and confidential pay scales tend to enforce have mechanisms in place to enforce this. Typically, inferences are between overseas and local hires, and/or among different ethnic and nationality groups.

SABIS schools tend to not get competitive, they know what they are and what they offer, and aren't interested in being the best.
VA75

Post by VA75 »

Thanks Alexandru! I appreciate your experience. I have about three more questions for you and I am grateful for your time.
As far as the warning about sharing salaries went, did you feel like there was a "big brother" atmosphere amongst the staff?
Frankfurt Int'l School - a tier one school I suppose - will pay a teacher with a masters 54,000 their first year at the school. Without revealing your salary, does Sabis even get in the same ballpark?

My husband is a guidance counselor here in the States and when I look at job postings for Sabis schools here in the US there are plenty of student support roles that his qualifications would fit. Is the same true for Sabis Germany? Are there student support positions (not paraprofessionals) that a guidance counselor would be suited for? How many guidance counselors do they employ?

How would you describe the community amongst staff members? Do you teach, leave on Friday and then see them Monday morning - or is there a lot of fellowship and community that goes on? Regarding the curriculum that Sabis has I can imagine that there are a lot of single, new-ish teachers, or would you say there is a good balance of young, families with kids and post kid couples?

We want to return to Europe to teach but we need to make sure our budget can manage it and we would like to teach at a school where there is a high level of camaraderie.
Thanks for your help! First hand knowledge is so valuable when making big moves like this.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

No they dont get close to Frankfurt IS (which is a tier 1 school, and many would consider an elite school).

Your salary for FIS lacks context, while step 6 (entry level of a masters) would be a salary of $54.3K you wouldnt be hired with 'zero' years of experience, you just wouldnt be competitive. A likely minimum would be 5-6 years which would be a total of step 9, and a salary of $59K and with bonus (half a month) would be another $2458, bringing the total to about $61.5K a year.

Usually 1 or 2 guidance counselors. Your husband wouldnt really be considered for the position, as it requires German language fluency.

You dont want to get the attention of administrators, or be on their radar. For most teachers there is a commuter atmosphere, they go to work, do their job and leave. There is a mix of aging veterans who are waiting to retire, and newbies who want the european experience, there isnt a lot in the middle. The newbies tend to be single types, and the veterans tend to be divorcees or married. There isnt a lot of 'camaraderie'.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

I second everything that PsyGuy said.
VA75

Post by VA75 »

Thank you so much everyone! That information helped me a lot!
PsyGuy

Caveat

Post by PsyGuy »

The caveat, here and i cant emphasis it enough, FIS is a retirement post, you get hired there, and you stay until you retire. Its not really fair to compare a third tier school to an elite school.

Yeah the SABIS schools have issues for some people but its europe and its germany, if being in europe is important to you (and I mean THE real factor thats important to you) then the bottom tier 3 school in a major city or close to a major city in europe, is still a pretty nice position. SABIS schools may not do a lot for your resume, but they do provide you the KNOWN freedom, and time to improve your quality and enjoyment of life. There is a reason why teachers despite the high taxes, lack of housing allowance, and very high competition, still consider europe (ANYWHERE in europe) a worthy goal, because its europe.

There is a lot to do and see in Germany, and outside of school, its a very rewarding life, and when you tire of Germany, Italy, France, Spain, and Northern Europe are literally an hour or two away. You can leave Saturday morning and spend a whole day in Paris, or Rome doing whatever, and still be back in time to get a good night sleep, smile, and mark another city off your bucket list, AND still wake up on Sunday morning. You dont even have to worry about doing "work" on the train (because at a SABIS school you dont have to do much outside school).
At the end of your contract you will have Euro IS experience, and SABIS experience (not nearly as marketable as IB experience) but once your in the Euro circuit its a lot easier to stay.
If your whole issue is having the most 'comraderic' neighbors or coworkers, then I have to say your making a mistake, based on a triviality. If building the 'strongest' resume possible is your focus, then taking a pass on a SABIS school is worthy advice, otherwise, well Carpe Diem...