SEARCH Associates question

iteach2

SEARCH Associates question

Post by iteach2 »

So I am a bit frustrated with SEARCH. Talked to my associate before completing the references and sending in the money. Asked about attending the Boston fair. He told me he thought it was a good fair for me to attend. I told him my focus was Europe.
Got most of my references done, sent in my check, and now he tells me that San Francisco is a better option for me, and that Boston would be a long shot...
Uggghhh, can I change Associates? Should I? How do I do that?
I told him I was a bit disappointed since he was the one telling me Boston would be good for me.
Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks a bunch.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

My Search rep organizes the London fair. I was dithering between that one and the Cambridge fair last year. He told me to go to the one with the most positions I was qualified for, not simply the one with the most schools I liked the looks of. In the end, that turned out to be Cambridge. Make yourself a spreadsheet of schools you're interested in, the positions they have for you, and which fairs they're attending. You'll be able to see which fair is the one for you.
PsyGuy

Reflection

Post by PsyGuy »

First you need to ask and find out WHY your associate switched from BOS to SF? Associates are on your side, they don't make their money off of you, they make it when they place you with a school. It is in their interested for them to get you hired.

You can switch associates, talk to your associate and tell them you would be comfortable with a different associate and see what they say. They may agree to transfer you to another associate. If they don't you can dump your associate for another one, but it will cost you another $200.

Normally I would agree on this issue with heyteach, but in your case I don't. you seem like its Europe or bust, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you wouldn't take a position because it's not in Europe, then go to the fair with the most European schools in the region your interested in. Having a large number of vacancies in your subject, but in regions you wouldn't accept an offer from, is an expensive way of saying not interested.
iteach2

Post by iteach2 »

So I asked today if I could switch to another associate. I told him that I am not very comfortable working with him and that I am puzzled by his enthusiasm in the beginning and his very reserved outlook for me now. Nothing has changed, except that I have added a couple more endorsements to my license...We'll see what he says... In a week or so...
PsyGuy

Prediction

Post by PsyGuy »

My instinct says, you will get an invitation to the BOS fair.