Teaching in Kuwait

BH

Teaching in Kuwait

Post by BH »

I have had some interest from 2 schools in Kuwait (one is ABS of Kuwait). I was wondering if anyone has any info about teaching at private international schools there? What is the lifestyle like and how does it compare to other ME countries?
vitaminz

Post by vitaminz »

What the previous poster said might be true in his/her experience but not mine. This is my 5th year in Kuwait and I'd have to say my experience here has been very good. I really enjoy the school that I work at and the students that attend the school. Granted you are going to have to deal with some things here that are different from issues you have in the USA/Canada/Europe but they are actually very minor compared to those issues.

There isn't much of anything social to do in Kuwait on the surface but after you have been here and gotten to know some people there are plenty of social opportunities on the down low. Savings potential is great.
Al Bayan, ASK, AISK, BSK are easily the top of the heap in terms of places to work. UAS and KES are probably the next best thing.
PsyGuy

*Sigh*

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not a secret, but the middle east (ME) is not my cup of tea. I dont have anything good to say about it really, but it doesnt mean other people dont. Granted in my experience those people are in a small minority, they do exist. IF you can say to yourself "I can deal with this, because the money is good", then sure its a viable option. BUT, and I have said this before your focus has to be on the money, nothing, and i mean NOTHING else comes easy in this region. Your always compromising, and the culture is unforgiving, and unbending. Then again, the money is good, and the savings potential is there.
vitaminz

Re: *Sigh*

Post by vitaminz »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Its not a secret, but the middle east (ME) is not my cup of tea. I dont have anything good to say about it really, but it doesnt mean other people dont. Granted in my experience those people are in a small minority, they do exist. IF you can say to yourself "I can deal with this, because the money is good", then sure its a viable option. BUT, and I have said this before your focus has to be on the money, nothing, and i mean NOTHING else comes easy in this region. Your always compromising, and the culture is unforgiving, and unbending. Then again, the money is good, and the savings potential is there.[/quote]

Yes. I agree. Everything here is a freakin' negotiation. I am 100% here for the money. I would leave here if I didn't have such a great job at a great school.