Open University thoughts

specialed

Open University thoughts

Post by specialed »

Anyone have any thoughts about programs offered by the Open University in the UK? I was looking at their EdD in ELT and wanted your thoughts.

Thanks!
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Not sure exactly what thoughts you're after, if it's reassurance then yes, the Open University is perfectly good.
PsyGuy

Fine

Post by PsyGuy »

Its fine, its not Oxford, or Cambridge but its not a polytech either. Its equivalent to your typical state university in the USA. You wont have any problems with reputation on the IT circuit.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

Polytechs? I think you mean polys (if you want to abbreviate). which haven't existed for nearly 20 years. While in some circumstances an employer might differentiate between applicants coming from different universities, in general they don't.

I got my first degree from a UK ex-polytechnic and had no trouble having it accepted as equivalent in Canada (at what might be considered Canada's answer to Oxford and Cambridge).

In answer to the Open University question, yes, it is well known and highly regarded.
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry Polys (my iPad just, drives me nuts with its auto correct, its a pain going back and removing all the apostrophes in a post), and they might not be called those anymore but they are still the same schools.

Though you wont have any problem with the Open university and its reputation. Its well known, I wouldnt say hight regarded, I wouldnt say it was poorly regarded either.

LOL, Canada has nothing equivalent to Oxford or Cambridge.