January 2013

Hedwig

January 2013

Post by Hedwig »

I'm half of a teaching couple and we are locked into a contract until December 2012 but we are looking around for options for January 2013. Our school does not allow us to take time off, unpaid or otherwise, for recruitment, so fairs are a problem. What are our best bets, location-wise, for places with January starts? We have ME and Asia experience but have been in our current job for a while and so dropped out of the loop. Any ideas welcomed, we're open to anywhere really as long as we can both work. I am seeing a lot of latin american positions advertised which I am applying for, but we would also quite like to go back to the ME or look at west/ southern Africa. Have school aged kids so it's tricky to leave to the last minute. Thanks for any advice.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I had that problem, kinda. There are still schools that need to fill a position or two in January, but both of a couple would be next to impossible. Since the choice is thin, it might be an idea for one of you to start in January and the other at the same school for the next academic year. So basically interview as a couple, for one open position, and one for the future.

I chose to tutor and wait for a better offer, and I have 3 dependents to look after. You can always do an els 'teaching' job and travel for the 6 months.

You could try Australian international schools as they are January starts, but they typically offer low salaries.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree, I dont see it happening. You would need a school with vacancies in both your fields. The probability of that happening is pretty low. You would be better off finding a job for one of you, and the other coming as a trailing spouse. The school may be willing to find/create a staff position for you. Otherwise you can tutor, or find an EAL position with a local language school.
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

[quote="Mathman"]I had that problem, kinda. There are still schools that need to fill a position or two in January, but both of a couple would be next to impossible. Since the choice is thin, it might be an idea for one of you to start in January and the other at the same school for the next academic year. So basically interview as a couple, for one open position, and one for the future.

I chose to tutor and wait for a better offer, and I have 3 dependents to look after. You can always do an els 'teaching' job and travel for the 6 months.

You could try Australian international schools as they are January starts, but they typically offer low salaries.[/quote]

Australian schools pay very well

80,000 plus

high cost of living
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

The two Australian schools I'm familiar with in hcmc and Malaysia pay rubbish compared to their competition. Maybe around the 30k range or less.

If you're talking about schools in Australia, then I'll just say this. TAX.
PsyGuy

Taxes

Post by PsyGuy »

The Tax rates for Australia are as follows:

AUD$ 1 - 6,000                   0%
AUD$ 6,001 - 37,000           15% over $6,000
AUD$ 37,001 - 80,000         30% over $37,000
AUD$ 80,001 - 180,000       37% over $80,000
AUD$ 180,001 and over      45% over $180,000

Australias tax rate is progressive, so the first 6K is tax free, then you pay 15% on the income up to 37K, then 30% on the remainder up to 80K, then 37% on the remainder up to 180K, and 45% on whats ever left above 180K.
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

[quote="Mathman"]The two Australian schools I'm familiar with in hcmc and Malaysia pay rubbish compared to their competition. Maybe around the 30k range or less.

If you're talking about schools in Australia, then I'll just say this. TAX.[/quote]

yeah sorry I was referring to schools in Australia

almost $5,000 AUD after TAX a month seems pretty good to me
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I have paid less tax since I have left Australia, so I see no reason to return when I get similar or better, especially when you factor in rent and transport. Cost of living means you can save. I would not have Ben able to afford my kids (or even 1) if I stayed.

And that salary differs greatly from state to state.
Now we are off topic :P
PsyGuy

Question

Post by PsyGuy »

Doesnt Australia provide a number of social services including healthcare and retirement allowances for its citizens with those tax dollars? Isnt university tuition also very low?
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

1.5% of the tax covers medical expenses through medicare. 9-17% is placed into retirement. Students can opt to have their university fees paid for by the government. They are then repaid once the student is earning above a certain amount of income by an automatic 7% deduction from their salary. This loan is indexed by inflation, but interest is not incurred. I've been teaching overseas for 15 years, so haven't paid any back. No big deal.