Packing Questions

WiseTeach

Packing Questions

Post by WiseTeach »

Getting ready to leave for my first international position. I have a minimal baggage allowance of $600. So far I am up to 3 LARGE luggage bags, one medium (carry on) a duffel bag for shoes, and one smaller carry on. I am running out of room even though all I really am bringing is clothes, some bedding, and small amount of materials. Is this too much? I really could do with checking one more bag. Oh and I'm flying BA. Input? Single no kids.
PsyGuy

Ok

Post by PsyGuy »

If you can dump the bedding unles you HAVE to have it. You don't know what size the beds wil really be, and you can buy sheets and blankets there.

Fr woman I usually advise picking a color theme, either neutral or black and pack around mixing and matching pieces. You are bringing way too many pairs of shoes, you need flats or wedges for work a pair of running shoes, and a really nice pair of heels. If yo need the extras you might look into boxing them and going to the post office to mail them to yourself.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

Psyguy... hadn't seen you on any recent posts, though maybe you had dropped off. Shoes only fill a small duffel, but I will take your advice and re-look at what I have. Bedding.... one special comforter. I did find another thread about baggage and think I'll go buy some collapsible duffels , My main question I think was answered by the other thread. Thanks.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive been posting, but I've been busy withe the paperwork for a new job. A comforter is going to take up a whole bag unless you put it in a space bag and compress it. Me I still wouldn't take it
adminpaul

SHIPPING

Post by adminpaul »

You might find our newest blog on the topic of SHIPPING helpful.

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... read-this/
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

The Space Bags are great for compressing clothes and soft goods. I would not advise taking bedding. I did take my own cozy flannel sheets to a previous job which was worth it, but then I took nice cool cotton bedding to my current job, only to find that the apt. came with a king-size bed.

If your shoe size is outside the "norm" you should indeed take all that you will need. Besides shoes for school I also need boots, shoes, and sandals for various activities and sports. I would never be able to find correctly fit shoes in my size; at my last post, however, I was able to have nice boots custom made quite cheaply.

I find I can scan most materials I'm likely to need so don't need to take much. Leave books and notebooks behind; you will be dealing with a very different curriculum and most of what you have probably won't be of much use.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

No doubt my favorite Psyguy qoute ever!

"Fr woman I usually advise picking a color theme, either neutral or black and pack around mixing and matching pieces."