Rate My Prospects

antitravolta

Rate My Prospects

Post by antitravolta »

Hi all. I have another post checking how my prospects are. I am currently certified in Math (5-9) and I'm about to start my 4th year of teaching. I was a career changer, so neither my BS and MS are in an unrelated field, but I'm fully certified. I plan to get a second masters but won't have it when I apply for the 13-14 school year. So my question is what tiers of schools I'm likely to be competitive for?

One other question pertains to the job fairs. I've been planning to go to the Search Cambridge job fair, but was wondering if the ISS Atlanta fair might be useful? Cambridge will be expensive for me to attend. I could drive to Atlanta and have a place to stay. Of course it also means I need to sign up for another service and I wonder if that fair is too early and maybe not worth it. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Based solely on what you describe (you left a lot out), I'd say a solid tier 2.

I wouldn'tAtlants is a small regional fair, and it doesn't matter how cheap it is or convenient it is if there arent jobs in your field or a lot of attendance by better schools. You either want to go to Bangkok, or Boston.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Thanks. I should have mentioned also that I'm single with no dependants and I'm pretty open to where I land. I expect to enjoy teaching overseas and would like to teach in many different regions before I'm done. If there's anything else I should include that I didn't mention, let me know.
PsyGuy

Same

Post by PsyGuy »

Its still the same answer, you want to go to Bangkok, or Boston.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

I wish I could do Bangkok, but can't miss that much work. Boston it is. For future reference, is the Bangkok fair the best for getting jobs in Asia? Most of my top locations are in Asia. I assume Boston's a step down, but the best I'll do in Eastern U.S.?
PsyGuy

Not really

Post by PsyGuy »

The Boston fair is the best USA fair for experienced teachers. The Bangkok fair has nothing to do with attracting Asian schools, it is the Elite teacher fair. It's attended by the top tier school and tier 1 schools. Many of the elite schools fill their vacancies in Bangkok. It's run back to back with ISS, and it's one of the earliest fairs in the recruiting season.