Teaching 9th grade in an IB school.

tgrear2008

Teaching 9th grade in an IB school.

Post by tgrear2008 »

I will be teaching in a IB school. The IB program is for 11th and 12th grade only. I will only teach 9th grade. Obviously, I want to gain IB experience. Will I be able to claim any IB experience on my resume?
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Actually, the IB program covers grades 1-12. The Diploma (DIP) program covers grades 11-12, the MYP program covers grades 6-10, the PYP program covers grades 1-5. These are all parts of the IB program, and having all three makes you an "IB World School".

You can claim anything you want on your resume. I see a couple perspectives here:

1) Technical: You cant claim IB experience because your not teaching in the DIP program a IB DIP subject. Ninth grade is MYP, and your school doesn't offer that program.

2) Pedagogical (Pre IB): Your school only has DIP when it comes to IB, but whats the environment of the school itself, is it heavily IB? How do you run your class, if you practice inquiry based approaches in your classroom, and run your 9th grade class like a MYP 4 class (which really could be anything), then thats a reasonable claim to me (especially if you take the IB training).
The issue is if your admin/head will support that statement on your resume. Many schools dont want to deal with the work and cost in supporting an MYP program, so you wouldnt be the first.

3) Methodological: Your school doesnt "officially" have an MYP program, but in practice they do. They simply implement, 'do' an MYP program without official authorization. MYP even with the new additions of a prescribed curriculum, is still really adaptable and flexible.

If I did IB even if not in name and my admin was on board Id claim it on my resume.
msteachkids

Post by msteachkids »

Technically, PYP covers more than grades 1-5. It starts at age 3.
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Yes, but there is no PYP 0 program, it's PYP years 1-5. Nothing in my post addressed ages, only grades/years.
tgrear2008

Post by tgrear2008 »

Thanks for your input Psyguy. I'll have to talk to my new director and the other staff members when I arrive.
msteachkids

Post by msteachkids »

I realize what grades PYP covers, but if you're giving information - you should give ALL the correct information.

The Primary Years Programme (PYP) for pupils aged 3 to 12 focuses on the development of the whole child in the classroom and in the world outside.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

It depends on whether the school is implementing MYP or IGCSE for the middle school. Some schools prefer IGCSE since it is more content based and not quite full of crap and vague as the MYP.

If you can prep kids well for IGCSE, you can for the IB exams.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@msteachkids

Thanks for the complete information, and keeping it accurate.

@Mathman

MYP doesnt have to be all squishy and spongy. It CAN be very academically rigorous and challenging. Its more a matter and issue for the schools leadership to decide what they want MYP to be. I personally think a lot of schools that adapt MYP and have 'soft' MYP programs do so because they want them to be, or more accurately dont want them to be hard and more challenging. There really isnt anything in IB that would keep them from doing that if they wanted.