Teaching in Asia Advice

coffeetoe

Teaching in Asia Advice

Post by coffeetoe »

Hello,
I would like some objective opinions on my prospects for landing a teaching position in Asia for the 13-14 school year.

My background includes 18 years teaching experience in USA, mostly in middle school science and mathematics with 2 years teaching AP Calculus.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics and a Master of Education in Science education. I am certified in both Mathematics grades 7-9 and upper level Science, but have never taught physics or chemistry.

I have a non-teaching trailing spouse and 2 elementary grade children. My plan is to apply to Search and to the schools directly. I realize my family situation is a bit of a challenge but I’m willing to go the extra mile as we have been thinking of doing this for a few years.

Any info appreciated.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

For what it's worth, I think you should try both search and TIE. I will be starting in Shanghai in two weeks and bringing a non-teaching spouse and kids. My own experience is that having a trailing spouse and children restricted my choices, but from these two agencies I had 10 or so interviews and was offered 3 jobs. In addittion, since accepting the job in China I was offered a few more interviews before I de-activated my profile.

So if you are not too picky as to location I think you may find an opening.

Good Luck!!!
PsyGuy

Advice

Post by PsyGuy »

You would be an amazingly marketable candidate, then you mentioned your family. Still in your position their will be several schools in asia (high tier 2 schools, or low tier 1 schools) that would still be interested in you despite your family size. It will just be more frustrating then someone with your resume who was single or you were a teaching couple.

Getting some science experience would be helpful, many math positions are also physics (science) combination positions. You also need to get an upper secondary (9-12) math certification, you want to remove as many factors as possible for a recruiter not to hire you.
coffeetoe

Post by coffeetoe »

Thanks for the advice. @tdaily26, I use TIE and have everything set up now. Psyguy, I've considered getting a secondary math cert in the near future.