Foreign Language Teachers?

FutureTeacher33

Foreign Language Teachers?

Post by FutureTeacher33 »

Hello!

This is my 3rd and probably last topic I'll be making. I appreciate everyone's help! You guys have been great and have helped me to make a lot of great career decisions.

For anyone who hasn't read my previous topics, I am currently in school to become a teacher :D

I am in a 5 year program where I am earning both my Bachelor's of Arts in English and Master's in Teaching degrees. I am strongly considering double majoring in a foreign language.

My first question is: What is the difference between a double major, a dual degree, and a minor? Which one of these will offer me the flexibility of being able to teach as a foreign language teacher in the international school setting?

My second question is: What languages are in demand/sought after?
I want to select a language where I will have a good chance of securing a job, since foreign language is considered a specialty.

Thank you!
FutureTeacher33

What I would llike to do is Major in English and do a minor in a foreign language OR major in english and majoe in a foreign language. But which one of these will allow me to teach as a foreign language teacher?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

First understand that a bachelors degree is about 120 credit hours. About 30 of those hours are general education classes, another 30 are major hours, and about 60 are electives. So your degree in your major what ever you choose it to be is only about 25% of your total degree hours. A major is a very rigidly defined sequence of courses that includes lower division (freshman and sophomore courses) and upper division courses (Junior and Senior courses).

A double major is just taking the major requirement courses within the same level of degree (Bachelors level). For instance a double major in English and a Foreign Language means you have 2 advisors, one in english and one in a foreign language. You take the courses required for both majors. It requires very little organization and collaboration from the school to do this, and one problem is that the higher level course may only be offered once every two years, and only a single section which could cause scheduling conflicts if you have to take two required courses at the same time. Most people double major in very closely related fields, that are often in the same department, such as a dual major in economics and political science. Double majors are common in pre professional programs such as medicine and law. So a student might dual major in Pre-Med and Biology, or Pre-Law and History. Its uncommon for someone to double major in something like English and Physics.

So in a double major you are basically using 30 or so of your elective hours to fullfill a second major (you can triple major as well). Dual degree is a program thats been organized by a school to allow you typically to do a bachelors degree and a graduate degree in less time and with fewer credits then you would if you did them separately. These are also referred to as "5 year programs". The Bachelors/Masters in Education is a common one for teachers, another is the Bachelors/MBA in business. There are many combinations possible. Your basically combining your senior year of your Bachelors with your 1st year of grad school, and applying about 12-15 hours of courses from one degree to the other.

A major is typically about 30 hours (though I have seen majors that are as high as 45 hours), a minor is between 15-18 hours, and unlike a major is composed of: lower division courses and is more flexible, in that you have more options in what courses you can take. The typical sequence is 1-3 lower level required courses and the the rest electives within the field of study.
There is also something called a concentration which is about 9-12 credit hours, and is otherwise the same as a minor, with fewer hours. Most schools dont list concentrations on a transcript.

Depending on your state, you may not need to take any classes at all to meet the requirements to be certified in a foreign language. What it really takes is a lot of time studying a language in depth. My experience is that unless your really committed universities dont prepare people very well in developing real fluency in a foreign language, and those that do or come close major in the language and supplement it with lengthy study abroad programs. A minor in a foreign will look nice on your transcript, but unless you are natively bilingual already is not likely to be of much use.

Most IS (international schools) look for native speakers first who are certified in a foreign language. So a Chinese teacher with a degree in Chinese studies for instance is going to have a distinct edge in recruiting. What they want is someone whos working knowledge of the language is native fluency.

The languages that are most common are the traditional western european languages (in order): French, Spanish, and German. Followed next by Chinese and Japanese.
FutureTeacher33

Re: Reply

[quote="PsyGuy"]First understand that a bachelors degree is about 120 credit hours. About 30 of those hours are general education classes, another 30 are major hours, and about 60 are electives. So your degree in your major what ever you choose it to be is only about 25% of your total degree hours. A major is a very rigidly defined sequence of courses that includes lower division (freshman and sophomore courses) and upper division courses (Junior and Senior courses).

A double major is just taking the major requirement courses within the same level of degree (Bachelors level). For instance a double major in English and a Foreign Language means you have 2 advisors, one in english and one in a foreign language. You take the courses required for both majors. It requires very little organization and collaboration from the school to do this, and one problem is that the higher level course may only be offered once every two years, and only a single section which could cause scheduling conflicts if you have to take two required courses at the same time. Most people double major in very closely related fields, that are often in the same department, such as a dual major in economics and political science. Double majors are common in pre professional programs such as medicine and law. So a student might dual major in Pre-Med and Biology, or Pre-Law and History. Its uncommon for someone to double major in something like English and Physics.

So in a double major you are basically using 30 or so of your elective hours to fullfill a second major (you can triple major as well). Dual degree is a program thats been organized by a school to allow you typically to do a bachelors degree and a graduate degree in less time and with fewer credits then you would if you did them separately. These are also referred to as "5 year programs". The Bachelors/Masters in Education is a common one for teachers, another is the Bachelors/MBA in business. There are many combinations possible. Your basically combining your senior year of your Bachelors with your 1st year of grad school, and applying about 12-15 hours of courses from one degree to the other.

A major is typically about 30 hours (though I have seen majors that are as high as 45 hours), a minor is between 15-18 hours, and unlike a major is composed of: lower division courses and is more flexible, in that you have more options in what courses you can take. The typical sequence is 1-3 lower level required courses and the the rest electives within the field of study.
There is also something called a concentration which is about 9-12 credit hours, and is otherwise the same as a minor, with fewer hours. Most schools dont list concentrations on a transcript.

Depending on your state, you may not need to take any classes at all to meet the requirements to be certified in a foreign language. What it really takes is a lot of time studying a language in depth. My experience is that unless your really committed universities dont prepare people very well in developing real fluency in a foreign language, and those that do or come close major in the language and supplement it with lengthy study abroad programs. A minor in a foreign will look nice on your transcript, but unless you are natively bilingual already is not likely to be of much use.

Most IS (international schools) look for native speakers first who are certified in a foreign language. So a Chinese teacher with a degree in Chinese studies for instance is going to have a distinct edge in recruiting. What they want is someone whos working knowledge of the language is native fluency.

The languages that are most common are the traditional western european languages (in order): French, Spanish, and German. Followed next by Chinese and Japanese.[/quote]

Thanks for your feedback! You have been most helpful.

To be certified to teach a foreign language in my state, these are the guidelines (copy/pasted directly from the source):

8VAC20-22-360. Foreign language preK-12.
A. The specific language of the endorsement will be noted on the license.
B. Foreign language preK-12 – languages other than Latin. Endorsement requirements:
1. The candidate must have (i) graduated from an approved teacher preparation program in a foreign language; or (ii) completed 30 semester hours above the intermediate level in the foreign language. (Endorsement in a second language may be obtained with 24 semester hours of coursework above the intermediate level.) The program shall include (i) courses in advanced grammar and composition, conversation, culture and civilization, and literature and (ii) a minimum of 3 semester hours of methods of teaching foreign languages at the elementary and secondary levels.

I would really like to double major in French to explore the possibilites of being a French language teacher, but because it's not my native language, it seems like I wouldn't be International Schools' first pick. Do you think it's worth getting and going for?
FutureTeacher33

I'm not sure how possible it is for me to double major, since I am already in a dual degree program for teaching.

Would a double major in French still be possible? If so, do you think it'll take me more years to complete?
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

I think questions specific to your program of study as an undergraduate and feasibility of double majoring/minoring and such should be directed at your academic advisor. No one on here knows the ins and outs of your degree program, but your advisor does.
FutureTeacher33

[quote="ringler24"]I think questions specific to your program of study as an undergraduate and feasibility of double majoring/minoring and such should be directed at your academic advisor. No one on here knows the ins and outs of your degree program, but your advisor does.[/quote]

That's what I was just thinking, lol. I am getting carried away here. I will reach out to my advisor and see what they think.
PsyGuy

Advise

Post by PsyGuy »

You need to contact your states Department of education and find out which subjects you can and can not add through testing. Honestly, with a dual degree, and all these additional majors to add a certification is way too much work. If your state requires credit hours to add endorsement areas, you might want to consider moving your certification to an easier state, that allows added endorsements through testing.

If you really want to be a foreign language teacher, you should consider doing your degree or several years of it overseas in that country. A summer, semester, or year abroad is not going to add much to your foreign language fluency if you really dont live surrounded by it for several years.