AP World History teacher with non-teaching spouse...TESOL?

Jon

AP World History teacher with non-teaching spouse...TESOL?

Post by Jon »

I have heard that Social Science positions are tough to find. I am signed up with Search and am a little disheartened about the conversations I've had with them about my wife and daughters as a "liability" to finding a good job. Nevertheless, we are going to try to find a good job for the 2013-2014 school year.
My question is about programs you might recommend to add an ELS/ TESOL qualification to my wife's resume. Are there online courses that you've found particularly good? The options of programs seem endless. Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

It would have to be a program where she earns an actual teaching license from a state, not just a certificate to teach in a language school. Does she have any teaching experience? She would likely also have to student teach if she was earning her first endorsement as a teacher. I would think she would probably only be considered for an international school position in ESL if she gained some actual experience teaching in the field after becoming certified.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Although she has a ton of experience in support roles in schools and in the library, she is not interested in becoming a full classroom teacher. I'm thinking more of a certification that would allow her to be able to tutor students in a small group basis.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Well she doesnt need a CELTA to teach ESL, in the scenario your looking for. It wont make her a teacher and it wont make you a teaching couple. Its not going to make you any more marketable, and your not marketable at all. Your just too expensive a hire, and your teaching field isnt in demand.
Schools will often make or create a support role for a trailing spouse if they really want a teacher, in a high needs area, but thats not the case with you.

Ok to answer your question, the Cambridge certificate program is the best, and its worth the money. You want a 240+ hour program, that has observation hours (meaning you actually give teaching demonstration lessons as part of the course). Thats hard to do "online", all the other programs (especially online ones), are otherwise the same, when it comes to marketability. Oxford seminars is a popular one.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Well, that was a very straightforward reply. Thanks for the information.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry, I didnt mean to offend you, I was trying to be direct. Its that time of year where the people who thought they were marketable because they were told they "had a chance" realize that they arent getting hired, and the frustrations come out. Every teacher believes they are 'worth hiring', bit the cruel truth is, it just isnt so.
Jon

Post by Jon »

No offense taken. I'll continue to hope for the best, but I appreciate the realism that teachers who have experienced the system bring to the conversation. Thankfully I am in a great teaching situation right now and I'm not at the point of frustration. Maybe that will come later :) Thanks!