ESL job market

kellysensei

ESL job market

Post by kellysensei »

I’ve been lurking in these forums a long time and figured it is time to actually ask some questions. I’ll post them in separate threads.

What’s the international job market like for qualified ESL teachers? Most international schools have at least one ESL teacher, don’t they? My question is more, "Are there jobs out there?" than "Can I, specifically, get a job?" I know the second question depends on a lot of factors. But for what it’s worth, I have a K-12 teaching license and M.Ed. in ESL and six years (so far) of teaching experience – two in Japan at an eikaiwa, and four as a licensed ESL teacher in U.S. public schools.

PS. I should add that it'll likely be 3-5 years before my family and I can move abroad, because of the housing market. But I'm curious and like to plan in advance.
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Most international schools have an ESL department which is usually a couple teachers. yes there are jobs out there, they are as common as any other department, though not as in demand. They tend to be one of the things schools save for teaching couples when a trailing spouse isnt certified and they really want one of them for a high demand teaching subject.

At least your really certified, which at the tier 1 and elite schools is good. Your eikaiwa experience doesnt count. You have good qualifications on your resume, a little light on experience but certainly qualified. The only thing thats going to stop you (and will stop you) is your family size (from the other threads).