UNI or Search for a newbie?

livefree

UNI or Search for a newbie?

Post by livefree »

I am a newly certified (California) early childhood educator and was wondering which 2013 job fair should I attend---or both? I have heard good things about both Search and UNI.
PsyGuy

Depends

Post by PsyGuy »

Where do you want to teach, what region? Are you 'just' EC certified or primary as well?

The UNI fair is just a fair, there is no database and nothing else to add value. The schools that are attracted to it are on the lower end. The UNI fair is the newbie fair pretty exclusivly. Its a little more gentle and not as competitive as a general fair like the Search fair in Boston that attracts experienced candidates and newbies alike.

If your going to use the database and look for jobs outside of the fair, go with Search, as a newbie the Boston (Cambridge) fair is "THE" fair for you. This fair attracts better schools. For the money and value though, your first Search fair is free, and you get database access for 3 years at a cost of $200 At UNI you pay $150 and get just the fiar for that one year.

You could go to both, but its not going to help you very much. The fairs are within 4 days of each other, and its pretty much going to be the same schools, at the level youd be qualified for. The real deciding factor would be which fair has more vacancies. Its why i asked if you can teach primary as well. It wouldnt really matter then. If its ONLY EC you can teach go to the fair with the most EC vacancies among the attending schools.

If your really flexible and just want a job, go to UNI you will have a higher probability of being successful. International teachers need 2 years of teaching experience. and a lot of teachers with no experience try their luck at the Search fair and leave empty handed.

**UPDATE**
@liketotravel

Thanks for the correction regarding the UNI fair registration fee.
Last edited by PsyGuy on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

There is a fee for UNI.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

At UNI I met several people who had been offered jobs as new graduates. However, I wasn't impressed with the schools that offered those positions-some safety issues. I did not get offered a position as I have 2 dependants. It seemed like singles and couples did well if they weren't picky about location. I thought I would have been more marketable. I only got interviews for supervisory positions and I wasn't quite there yet. The UNI fair cost less than Search and I met some great people. I also liked their hard copy school information pack. I'm kicking myself for dumping it after the fair.

At Search, I had many more schools interested in me despite the dependants. I think that's because the quality of school was higher at Search. I also liked having the ear of my associate. Some people don't have the same experience, but my associate gave me helpful advice in making a selection. Also met great people.

I think it's a great idea to go where the jobs are, but that's easier said than done. You can't see what jobs are listed until you register with the agencies. If I had to pick only one, it would be Search.
heyteach

Re: Depends

Post by heyteach »

Once again, PG postures as the All-Knowing without actually knowing much. UNI does indeed have a database. The schools are not all lower-end (JIS? FCAQ? ASB? SAS? Those were just some of the schools I interviewed when there.) It is not exclusively newbie; there were a number of veterans who preferred the lower-key atmosphere and cost.

THE fair to go to is the one with the most positions you're qualified for. I found that the schools at UNI were hiring more readily, not just interviewing for future reference until after the fair season.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Where do you want to teach, what region? Are you 'just' EC certified or primary as well?

The UNI fair is just a fair, there is no database and nothing else to add value. The schools that are attracted to it are on the lower end. The UNI fair is the newbie fair pretty exclusivly. Its a little more gentle and not as competitive as a general fair like the Search fair in Boston that attracts experienced candidates and newbies alike.

If your going to use the database and look for jobs outside of the fair, go with Search, as a newbie the Boston (Cambridge) fair is "THE" fair for you. This fair attracts better schools. For the money and value though, your first Search fair is free, and you get database access for 3 years at a cost of $200 At UNI you pay $150 and get just the fiar for that one year.

You could go to both, but its not going to help you very much. The fairs are within 4 days of each other, and its pretty much going to be the same schools, at the level youd be qualified for. The real deciding factor would be which fair has more vacancies. Its why i asked if you can teach primary as well. It wouldnt really matter then. If its ONLY EC you can teach go to the fair with the most EC vacancies among the attending schools.

If your really flexible and just want a job, go to UNI you will have a higher probability of being successful. International teachers need 2 years of teaching experience. and a lot of teachers with no experience try their luck at the Search fair and leave empty handed.

**UPDATE**
@liketotravel

Thanks for the correction regarding the UNI fair registration fee.[/quote]

I am only certified to teach ECE and I have certificate in management in ECE and a supervisor permit which hopefully will help. I can be open to locations, but my preference would be to teach in Cyprus, Lebanon, Jordan, Greece, or Turkey.
So, are you saying that teachers with less than 2 yrs of experience should attend UNI rather than Search?
The problem is that I would have to register to both in order to see what schools will be attending and what ECE positions are available :(
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I went to UNI twice and was extremely pleased with the experience. I found my first and second interenational gigs there. The staff is very helpful and I made tons of contacts with other teachers that I still hold almost ten years later. I had tons of interviews and offers at both UNI fairs.

I went to Cambridge for my third fair and I thought I was in a lot better shape due to a little experience, but I walked away very disappointed. My associate was militant and I preferred not to deal with her. The better schools were only talking with couples and my competetion was way deeper then UNI. I walked away with an offer, but declined and found a job through a contact.

I found one job through TIE which turned out to be the best money I ever spent.

My current school sends a team to both UNI and Cambridge. Their goal is to hire veterans at Cambridge and new teachers they perceive as gems at UNI. They also hire interns at UNI and if they are great prospects they create teacher positions the second year for them.

My view is UNI is great for entry level teachers and also for those wanting to go to Latin America.

I think an above poster hit it on the head about candidates leaving it open to teach anywhere. I think this is critical in success. I personally will not teach in the ME so I spent a great deal of time in developing countries making chump change in Latin America. Im now in my dream school in an awesome country in Asia making bank and happy I went through the hoops.

There is a databank for UNI now, its just not as extensive as Search. If I was going to be going to a fair I would fly back to UNI, as I really did not enjoy my dealing with Search, but I would register to access their databank or get access from a friend as once you are abroad someone you know usually has access to the Search databank.
PsyGuy

Comments

Post by PsyGuy »

@heyteach

Your seriously comparing the (NEW) UNI fair attendees database with Searchs database?

Yeah its not ALL newbies but were talking generalities and probabilities not the 1 percenters.

@livefree

Teachers with less then 2 years experience or no experience dont do well at Search fairs. Usually those people without the minimum 2 years are considered interns. Some interns actually get full salary offers at good schools. With no experience the UNI fair is going to be better for you.

You have another issue your list of countries is very narrow and its going to hinder your chances. I cant recall seeing a school from Greece or Cypress in the last couple of years. Combine that with your narrow teaching field (ECE only) and no experience and really, not to be rude or offend you but your going to have a steep up hill battle filled with frustration.
heyteach

Re: Comments

Post by heyteach »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@heyteach

Your seriously comparing the (NEW) UNI fair attendees database with Searchs database?

Yeah its not ALL newbies but were talking generalities and probabilities not the 1 percenters.[/quote]

[quote="The UNI fair is just a fair, there is no database and nothing else to add value. The schools that are attracted to it are on the lower end. The UNI fair is the newbie fair pretty exclusivly.[/quote]

1. UNI had a database when I signed up for it in 2008. I made great use of it. I don't know about the "new" aspect of it. I'm not comparing it with Search's.

2. Oh, okay, now you're backpedaling. No one was talking "probabilities" except you. I was stating actual knowledge based on direct observation--anecdotal, for sure, but certainly more reliable than your poorly informed assumption. 'Way more than 1% of the people I met and talked to were veterans.
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

IMHO, no information is better then misinformation.

Kinda like spelling names of countries. Its either right or wrong not the way you want.
Last edited by liketotravel on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="livefree"]

I am only certified to teach ECE and I have certificate in management in ECE and a supervisor permit which hopefully will help. I can be open to locations, but my preference would be to teach in Cyprus, Lebanon, Jordan, Greece, or Turkey.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what ages ECE covers in the US. I'm primary trained (5-11yr olds) but have taught down to the 3 year olds. I have found that there is generally less competition for the Early Years posts, and Heads have told me me they are harder posts to fill than higher up in primary. This year I was offered a job with the 18 months to 3 yr olds, yet have no experience with that age range and wasn't brave enough to try it. Just wanted to let you know that you do have something on your side.

I'd also suggest you keep an eye on individual schools and apply direct, I've never been to a fair, and always got jobs. Just check out which schools are in the countries you want to go to.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Are ECE posts paid the same as K-12 positions? I've often wondered about this. I assumed they weren't.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@heyteach

I'm glad we've resolved the database issue. According to A rep at the UNI career placement office, their database is "designed to aid attendes of the fair in researching school fair attendes. It is not a year round jobs database. We do have international schools post vacancies in our general career service jobs database. This service is available to UNI students and alumni"

There is no back peddling, you know there are few absolutes, and while I achknowldeged before that some veterans do attend the UNI fair, they are very few. mainly, veteran teaches interested in south and central America. They are a SMALL percentage of fair candidates. The vast majority of them are inexperienced or under experienced teachers.

@stellalocal

In the US, ECE is Pre Kindergarden and Kindergarden, also known as nursery. Its less an age range criteri, and describes education befor primary or grade one, depending on your state.

@IAMBOG

I've always found that EC was locally hired, and on a local contract.I have seen some EC positions advertised on ISS and Search, I would imagine in those positions they were paid close to the same. Usually though in my experience EC is a "couples" hire,for someone who isn't certified but has experience working with kids, or they are a local hire.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="IAMBOG"]Are ECE posts paid the same as K-12 positions? I've often wondered about this. I assumed they weren't.[/quote]

The jobs I've been offered or taken were all paid on the same salary scale. I went from Key Stage 1 into Early Years and stayed on the same pay. There's often a shorter day but it's tiring work down there, and you don't get all the free periods that you get higher up the school, so hours work out similar in the end.

It's my experience that if the Early Years classes are part of the school then the pay is the same, regardless of whether you teach FS1 (3yr olds) or Year 13 (18 yr olds). That's assuming everyone is a fully qualified (western qualifications) teacher. We did have a couple of local hire teachers in Early Years who got paid less.

Oh, for the 18 month to 3 yr olds post I was offered, that was also full salary. The Head was very open about it and said they had a hard time finding teachers to work with the tiny ones. They also had the perk of not having to do after school clubs because their day was so tiring and full anyway!
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="stellalocal"][quote="livefree"]

[/quote]

I'm not sure what ages ECE covers in the US. I'm primary trained (5-11yr olds) but have taught down to the 3 year olds. I have found that there is generally less competition for the Early Years posts, and Heads have told me me they are harder posts to fill than higher up in primary. This year I was offered a job with the 18 months to 3 yr olds, yet have no experience with that age range and wasn't brave enough to try it. Just wanted to let you know that you do have something on your side.

I'd also suggest you keep an eye on individual schools and apply direct, I've never been to a fair, and always got jobs. Just check out which schools are in the countries you want to go to.[/quote]

Thanks! I much more hopeful now.