**Question Regarding Various Placement Agencies**

nicky2012

Post by nicky2012 »

The problem with the Bangkok fair, when I went in 2011 was that it heavily favoured teaching couples and they weren't even interested in interviewing primary teachers a lot of the time. A lot of schools even had notices up saying that primary positions had to be filled as part of a couple.
It was the same with Middle School positions too, I got knocked back a number of times because I was not part of a couple. I will also add that I am no newbie either.
I met some amazingly experienced primary people at that fair and they were having no luck at all.
I'd do London or Cambridge instead. If you do London you can make a holiday of it and also attend the CIS fair.
PsyGuy

Point

Post by PsyGuy »

I can see your point, and normally id concur with you. I do know a couple teachers in 2010 that were hired at BKK solely for primary.

First, In this case the strategy isnt to be successful AT the fair, its to be successful. I dont think the OP will get hired at the BKK fair, but what I would hope and aim for is being interviewed at BKK and being hired in between the BKK and the BOS fair.
Second, There is also a sort of inflation that happens with the BKK fair, everyone knows its for the elite teachers, and so being there elevates your 'presence'. If your there you must be an elite teacher.

Having the best impression and making the strongest impact you can, as early as you can in this case is going to maximize the posters recruitment options and probabilities.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Bangkok 2012 also seemed to favor couples. I got rejected By some schools because they needed some admin partner.

And I'm not sure all the teachers at Bangkok would be considered elite by any stretch. But competition,like a t any fair is always fierce.
PsyGuy

Relative

Post by PsyGuy »

Elite is relative and subjective. BKK is, in practice, open to teachers with higher experience/certification qualifications then the other fairs. Search has to narrow the range of attendees, as they can only accommodate a certain number of candidates. So getting an invite and being present there, must define you as one of those higher level candidates.