Life teaching at a boarding school

Eric

Life teaching at a boarding school

Post by Eric »

Hi all,

I've recently applied to a new international boarding school in Asia- the advert gave no details as to any 'boarding duties' other than a vague reference to "participating in residential activities".

I know boarding schools vary quite dramatically, but can anyone out there give me their knowledge or experiences of teaching/living in an international boarding school ? Do you get paid extra for boarding duties or is it all included in your salary? Is there any work/life balance?

Thanks very much in advance.
PsyGuy

Depends

Post by PsyGuy »

It really "depends" what role your playing in the boarding aspect of the school. Being a house parent is VERY different from being a residential advisor.

based on your description it sounds like you will have some light residential duties. Schools are usually very explicit about boarding duties in the contract, or job description. Its not like a school duty, such as 'gate duty' or some other before or after school duty.
Participating in residential activities in my experience is just another way of saying after school activities. Typically is is 1-3 hours after school were you run a club or assist with an athletic activity or other extra curricular activity. On occasion you may be invited to a meal, or a movie night at the residential hall.
At this level of activity its unlikely you will get a stipend or extra duty pay, as its often included in your contract as part of your contact teaching hours.
I cant see it really interfering with your work life, really at this level. Being a house parent on the other hand is practically a 24/7 job, and work is pretty much your life.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I concur with psyguy, duties are light and you are not going to be expected to do anything outside your comfort zone.

Probably a tutoring session here and there and looking after a sports team or club. Stuff you would do at any other school, except that it could be at later hours rather than straight after school.

House parent is a separate job, somebody has to make sure the sick kids are not just faking it.
lightstays

Post by lightstays »

the advert gave no details as to any 'boarding duties' other than a vague reference to "participating in residential activities".

I would be highly suspect of language like this.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Well it could be a sinister plot to trap you into a life long slave labor contract, but "boarding" and "residential" in this context are for practical purposes terms that mean about the same thing. Its a difference without distinction.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated.