Selling Everything

psychris

Selling Everything

Post by psychris »

Hey Guys,

I'm currently in the process of selling all my worldly possessions in preparation for my upcoming move to Beijing and I'm starting to freak out. While I've sold most of my furniture, I have yet to sell my one big ticket item - my car. I went to a dealership today and they offered me a ridiculously low figure, which Is barely enough to pay off what I still owe on it.

But time is running out.

My question: has anyone else had difficulty selling major items (house, car, etc.) before their overseas move? If so, how did things turn out?

My main concern is that I won't have enough money to last me the month in China before I start getting paid. The money I thought I'd make from my car was supposed to cover that. I can request up to a one-month advance from my school, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

I know these little money issues won't seem significant in a few months, but they are now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
PsyGuy

Really???

Post by PsyGuy »

How much do you think you need? I assume your getting housing and airfare?

Just sell it for what you can get. In two years when this contract is over it will loose even more value, and if you make a career out of this, you won't need a car so what are you going to do with it. Look at it not as how much less you will make on the sale, but how much it will COST to not sell it and store it.
psychris

Post by psychris »

I really have no idea how much I'll need that first month.
It's difficult to estimate such expenses.

My school gives us a flexible spending account (163000 RMB) that can be used toward housing, medical expenses, and travel, but I'm still not sure how it's distributed. We're provided housing for the first two months and then we can chose our own living spaces. From what I hear, it's preferable to school owned housing because we get to decide where we want to live and how much we want to spend. Some people choose to live in modest apartments and use the leftover funds for nice vacations at the end of the year.

Airfare is also provided.

I guess it's just food, cell phone, and those random things that I'll probably decide I need on our field trip to Ikea... not that much $, but I'd still like some sort of cushion.

I wasn't thinking about storing the car, just seeing if I could sell it privately before jumping at the first offer. Thanks for the perspective PsyGuy.
PsyGuy

Okay

Post by PsyGuy »

You will be fine. When I first came to China (it was Guangzhou, not Beijing) I arrived with about $2K and I spent 1,100 my first month. My apartment was furnished though, and all I really needed to buy was linens, and a shower curtain (which took almost half a year).

Depending on your cell phone, get it unlocked before arriving and then all you need is a local SIM, and you buy refill cards (100 RMB, typically). As long as you dont call international a lot, 100-200 RMB should easily get you through the first month.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I kept my house and all my furniture (so I'd have something to come home to), but sold my car on Craigslist for book value. You'll never get a good price from a dealer.
Gipper

Post by Gipper »

I had the same problem with my car. I really debated what to do. I decided to continue running the ad online and parked it at my parents house when I left. I continued to answer any inquiries online and sent any serious ones to my parents. They were kind enough to entertain those calls. It sold I think the second week--to a guy who had looked at it when I was still home, but took a while to decide. If you don't have family close by you could do the same with a near-by friend. Even offer to give them 5% of the selling price so you don't feel guilty about any inconvenience to them and you will still be ahead way ahead of the dealer's price.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

In terms of expenses it has been my experience that it is far more expensive to set up a house than I have ever planned so I now plan accordingly. You would be amazed at how all those little expenses add up early on in a school year.

I have no experience in Beijing but my Shanghai experience has been that prices are going up right across the spectrum and that you really have to look for the deals now.

Have a great start up to your year.
psychris

Post by psychris »

Thanks for all the great tips!

@Gipper, you especially made me feel better about this situation. My family is right here, and I'm sure they'd help out. I think I'm going to continue to list it on Craigslist and Autotrader.com for a couple of weeks and see if I get any hits. If not, I'll have to decide what I want to do.

Have a great summer everyone!
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Psychris - I am in the exact same situation! I have sold, given away, or stored all my belongings. I've rented out my house. The only thing left is to sell my car and I have exactly 1 week to do it. So far no serious nibbles but the inquiries are starting to come in. To top it all off I parked it in a local business parking lot by a busy street where lots of people park cars they're trying to sell. Unfortunately the business owner in the last month decided to crack down on this and had my car impounded. Cost me $311 to get it back. A VERY expensive lesson learned on my part! I have given my mother power of attorney so if worse comes to worse she will sell it for me after I leave.
psychris

Post by psychris »

@dreamgiver YIKES. Good luck!
Let me know how things turn out.