What are my odds of landing a job at one of the career fairs

livefree

What are my odds of landing a job at one of the career fairs

Post by livefree »

I am a new preschool teacher. I will be receiving my child development permit (site supervisor permit in California) later this year. I also have a B.A. degree in a related field. My interest is in early childhood education---I want to teach preschool-aged children overseas. Are these international schools career fairs beneficial for early childhood educators or are they geared for elementary and high school teachers? What are my chances of finding a preschool teaching position? Thanks.
seashell

Post by seashell »

Do you have 2 years of teaching experience? most schools will be looking for that, but I know a few people who have been hired straight out of their training for example in Kuwait or China. Most international schools have a preschool program and I know a few people (2) who have the exact same qualification as you and are working internationally. Some schools might be confused about what a site supervisor permit is so in your cover letter you might want to explain it. It also really depends on where you want to go and where you are willing to start. Schools in Asia and Middle East will be easier to get jobs at your first time around. I personally have never been to a job fair and have always gotten my positions by checking schools websites and tieonline. Tieonline's database can be searched by age/year level you want to teach.
PsyGuy

Disagree

Post by PsyGuy »

I have to disagree with seashell, not that i dont think her experience is valid, or even wrong, I just dont see it very often. You may very likely find a Pre-K program in asia or the middle east that hires you, but it wont be the package or job that other overseas teachers has, because and no offense, but they ARE TEACHERS, you are a day care provider. I know your thinking "whats the difference"? Well most school s that would have a similar program for you will be "american" schools and they are usually tier 1 if not tier 2 schools, and if you dont have an EC teacher certification they arent going to be all that interested, because 1) there will be a lot of PYP, and Kinder teachers who will be more competitive then you. 2) You basically have no post certification experience as far as management or supervision. 3) Kinder or Nursery seldom exist as stand alone programs, and are almost always attached to schools that need a certified educator.

Im not saying you wont be successful, I just feel in my experience that outside the third tier schools at a fair, your not going to get much interest and the probability of a position is going to be very low.

If you have a EC/Pre-K TEACHING certificate and 2 years post certification experience you would be as marketable as any newbie, but you would be handicapping yourself, if you dont pursue a primary teacher credential, and its just because Pre-K is such a small part of a schools overall program, they couldnt move you up to any other grade which makes you inflexible.
seashell

Post by seashell »

My experience is simply based on the fact that I know 2 people with the exact same qualifications. One working at one of the top schools in Shanghai and one working at a 2nd tier school in the Kuwait. I know a 3rd person who is not even a qualified teacher and only has an AA degree in ECE who is in a leadership position at a 2nd tier pyp school in Singapore. If you are in the right place at the right time--anything can happen and schools are a bit more flexible with ECE positions. My experience having primarily been in ECE divisions over the last 9 years overseas. The school I worked at in Sinagapore had over 500 students in the ECE division, which is 10x bigger then my entire school now. I don't think you're limited with only an ECE credential if you target larger int'l schools.

If you look at the curriculum for the site-supervisor certificate from CA it's not that different from a teaching certificate. http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl797.pdf

A lot of people would say I should have never been hired. I have NEVER taught school in my home country. Did my teaching practicum overseas and was hired as a first year certified teacher from overseas directly after my practicum, though with 2 years experience as a teaching assistant at a wonderful international school.
PsyGuy

Relative

Post by PsyGuy »

I don't doubt your position, experience, or qualifications, I think your an anomaly though. Your experience isn't what I would describe as "typical". I also agree that while you got hired, you really beat the odds. I'm not saying it was luck, but some lanets and stars being aligned at the right time and right place, and, well you get the idea.

They may not be that much different, but they are DIFFERENT. We've had this diss ussion on this forum before. Does certification make a good teaher, no, but it does make you legal. Does a site supervisor certificate make you legal, maybe. Does it make you marketable and flexible, no I dont think so. Its like being a school psychologist, yes your qualified, but you an only do one thing, which limits you. Your basically angleing for a single grade position, with no options for anything else. Do large ISs have larger, more stable and secure Pre-K programs, sure, how many of those are there, and how many are going to hire someone without experience? Could it happen, sure, but your more likely to leave a fair, empty handed and frustrated.

Since the issue is fairs, how many EC positions were actually posted at BKk or BOS this last year? BKK had a couple, and BOS had 2 if I recall. Schools like to keep EC positions for trailing spouses, since you don't NEED to be certified for them. I think without any experience, the OP is going to be up against a lot of better qualified competition. How do you talk about what you can bring to a school when you have no experience to base it on? You spend a minute talking about your wducation, and your certificate, and then after expanding on that for 5 minutes, then what? Your basically asking a recruiter to take your word that your a great teacher, and as you know EVERYONE thinks, believes theyre a great teacher, and the problem is that's not untrue. On the IS circuit there are a LOT of great teachers, what's going to make this poster, special and standout, and not just standout, but standout ABOVE everyone else?

If you want to join Search, or ISS, that's fine. You can see which schools are attending which fairs, AND how many of them have EC positions.You can then email them your application packet, and see if they want to interview you at the fair. You will get either an invite for an interview, or a suggestion to come by their table. You can then determine if there is enough interest in you to justify going to a fair. It doesn't mater how big the fair is or what schools are there, if there aren't any EC positions, or none of the schools are interested in you. I think your going to hear a lot of polite declines and a suggestion to come back in 2-3 years when you have more experience.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="seashell"]Do you have 2 years of teaching experience? most schools will be looking for that, but I know a few people who have been hired straight out of their training for example in Kuwait or China. Most international schools have a preschool program and I know a few people (2) who have the exact same qualification as you and are working internationally. Some schools might be confused about what a site supervisor permit is so in your cover letter you might want to explain it. It also really depends on where you want to go and where you are willing to start. Schools in Asia and Middle East will be easier to get jobs at your first time around. I personally have never been to a job fair and have always gotten my positions by checking schools websites and tieonline. Tieonline's database can be searched by age/year level you want to teach.[/quote]

I don't know if volunteering counts as part of the 2 yrs. experience, but so far I have volunteered as a teacher's assistant for 4 months and this month I am doing my practicum. After that my plan is to find a preschool teaching position (paid), so by next school year I would be closer to having 2 yrs experience...well, maybe like 1.5 yrs. I also have some experience in tutoring young children. This autumn I will be even taking the Administrative courses for ECE to boost my chances of landing a job. By taking the Administrative courses, I will also receive a certificate in ECE with a focus in administration from my school.

I don't mind working in the Middle East--I have relatives in Jordan (been there too) and I've lived in Jerusalem for 1 year. I can understand Arabic and sort of speak it. I also would like to work in Beirut. I prefer the Levant region...it's in my blood.
livefree

Re: Relative

Post by livefree »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I don't doubt your position, experience, or qualifications, I think your an anomaly though. Your experience isn't what I would describe as "typical". I also agree that while you got hired, you really beat the odds. I'm not saying it was luck, but some lanets and stars being aligned at the right time and right place, and, well you get the idea.

They may not be that much different, but they are DIFFERENT. We've had this diss ussion on this forum before. Does certification make a good teaher, no, but it does make you legal. Does a site supervisor certificate make you legal, maybe. Does it make you marketable and flexible, no I dont think so. Its like being a school psychologist, yes your qualified, but you an only do one thing, which limits you. Your basically angleing for a single grade position, with no options for anything else. Do large ISs have larger, more stable and secure Pre-K programs, sure, how many of those are there, and how many are going to hire someone without experience? Could it happen, sure, but your more likely to leave a fair, empty handed and frustrated.

Since the issue is fairs, how many EC positions were actually posted at BKk or BOS this last year? BKK had a couple, and BOS had 2 if I recall. Schools like to keep EC positions for trailing spouses, since you don't NEED to be certified for them. I think without any experience, the OP is going to be up against a lot of better qualified competition. How do you talk about what you can bring to a school when you have no experience to base it on? You spend a minute talking about your wducation, and your certificate, and then after expanding on that for 5 minutes, then what? Your basically asking a recruiter to take your word that your a great teacher, and as you know EVERYONE thinks, believes theyre a great teacher, and the problem is that's not untrue. On the IS circuit there are a LOT of great teachers, what's going to make this poster, special and standout, and not just standout, but standout ABOVE everyone else?

If you want to join Search, or ISS, that's fine. You can see which schools are attending which fairs, AND how many of them have EC positions.You can then email them your application packet, and see if they want to interview you at the fair. You will get either an invite for an interview, or a suggestion to come by their table. You can then determine if there is enough interest in you to justify going to a fair. It doesn't mater how big the fair is or what schools are there, if there aren't any EC positions, or none of the schools are interested in you. I think your going to hear a lot of polite declines and a suggestion to come back in 2-3 years when you have more experience.[/quote]

Thanks for your honest opinion, though I will still try because I am determined and I don't give up easily. Speaking of Search and ISS...is one better than the other?
PsyGuy

Responses

Post by PsyGuy »

Volunteer experience doesn't count.

There are already a bunch of posts on this forum about the differences between the big recruitment firms. The three big ones are Search (Search Associates), ISS (International School Services), and COIS (Council of International Schools). I usually recommend people, especially newbies go with Search. They have the largest database of just under 700 schools, and the most job fairs. ISS has about 4 job fairs a year and about 150 schools. Searchs fee is $200 for 3 years, ISS $185 for 2 years. ISS fairs cost $225 to go to all of them in a season. The first Search fair is free, and each fair after that is $50.