colegio karl c. parrish

teach2010

colegio karl c. parrish

Post by teach2010 »

does anyone know anything about colegio karl c. parrishschool in barranquilla, columbia? cannot find even a single piece of info about it except the school's website, thoughts on living in columbia?
PsyGuy

Me

Post by PsyGuy »

IF i was going to live in south America, after brazil, Columbia would be my second choice. Of course it depends WHERE in Columbia you are.
bish180b

Post by bish180b »

Baranquia is extremely hot with little to do and dangerous in parts
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

Psy, I thought you agreed to spell Colombia right?

I'm sitting in the country right now on break and can tell you it's awesome.

Barranquilla is on the North Coast and kinda a run-down big city. It has a great nightlife and if you're a guy you will have a blast. There are getaways in many directions that make living in the city not a problem if you can deal with a not so lovely place. I would live there as the North Coast is beautiful if you travel.

Not sure about the school, but is considered the best school in BAQ.
PsyGuy

???

Post by PsyGuy »

I thought i was spelling it right!!!. Why dont you just change the name of the country to Columbia? That would seriously be easier.
ringler24

Post by ringler24 »

Because its not pronounced Col-UM-bia. Maybe every country should just change their spelling to suit English mispronunciation. Just saying...
PsyGuy

Humm

Post by PsyGuy »

You said it i didnt...
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

For a single guy Barranquilla is AWESOME!

Like the other poster said it has great nightlife.

Another plus is it is a short ride from Cartagena and Santa Marta.

Colombia is where I am looking to plant my roots after I get certified.
teach2010

Post by teach2010 »

thanks to all who replied! it was helpful!
DMMZ

Re: colegio karl c. parrish

Post by DMMZ »

I and my wife taught at Karl C. Parrish school a number of years ago. Fortunately the contract was for one year which was more than enough for us. Our issue was with the expectations without much backup. Upon arriving I found out a few days before classes were to begin that one of my high school courses didn't have text books. I found many of the native Colombian students to be inattentive and difficult to control. I guess I was spoiled by the comparatively stellar behavior of my students in the states. The high school principal was a burr under the saddle for most of the middle school and high school teachers from her relentless pressure on us to keep discipline and create 'A' students at the same time. I and my wife had been enjoying success in teaching for several years before going to KCP, so this was a bit shocking to us. We remember fondly several of our ideal students, but the overall experience at KCP wasn't what we'd hoped for. However, the compensation was more than most other schools in the area which made it possible to travel on weekends and during breaks. Colombia is a beautiful country but at that time it was dangerous in certain areas. Many of the middle school and high school teachers left at the end of the year. I hope things have improved for the foreign teaching staff.