US Passport Card

gccoach

US Passport Card

Post by gccoach »

Does anyone have any experience using one of these overseas? I know they are not valid for international air travel, but I was wondering if it could be used to carry with you as ID instead of taking a passport or a copy of the passport everywhere you go. I had a colleague in Germany that had one and they accepted it at the banks and post office in place of the book, but I am not sure about other places.
PsyGuy

Have One

Post by PsyGuy »

I have one and I do use it, a couple considerations:

"Legally" a passport card isnt a passport (no other country has one), and when the requirement means a passport, they mean your passport book. In Singapore, a coworker was detained at a police sub station, until a secretary could bring his passport book.

At some point depending on your country you will get either a PR (Permanent Resident) or other national ID card. You should really carry this with you, over a passport card. Ive used my passport card many times. In a couple of instances, ive had bank tellers and postal workers require my passport book. It really depends on the person on the other end of the counter, like customs/immigration officers anywhere in the world, at any time for any reason they can reject your request. This means if a bank teller refuses your passport card, or PR card, you have to go and get whatever it is they instruct you to do. Either that or try another bank/post office/facility, or try again at another time and day.

I typically carry my PR card and Passport card with me. Before my PR card I would carry a color photocopy of my passport cover, and visa/permit page along with my passport card. If you get hassled, apologize, plead ignorance, and apologize again. I knew a girl who could cry on cue for any number of things, it worked wonders for her.

Why do i do that, when it could be problematic? A passport card costs $20 to replace. A passport costs $150, plus the cost to replace your visa. It also takes anywhere from 1-6 weeks. They have to be sent back to the USA to be processed, as embassies/consulates no longer do them on site. In the meantime you cant leave the country, have to loose a couple days of work to and make trips depending where your living, Its a huge hassle.

Lastly, it doubles as a government issued photo ID which you can use back in the USA. Personally I travel with 2 passports and my passport card.