Conditional Offers

higgsboson

Conditional Offers

Post by higgsboson »

I was offered a job conditional on all the usual - medical check, health check and verification of credentials - but also on reference check. It seems to me, the school is obligated to check references before making any type of an offer.

My question is, having accepted their conditional offer, is my acceptance also conditional say on me not finding a better job?
PsyGuy

haha

Post by PsyGuy »

Its not a contract until its a contract, meaning you sign... If your offered a better contract that you want to take while they are completing their background check, your free to take it. A "conditional offer" means nothing.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Psyguy - my thoughts exactly. Its the first time I was presented with a "conditional offer." That and the fact that I have to pay airfare in advance and wait for reimbursement is making me wonder if this school is worth the risk.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Conditional offers are more common at hiring fairs, where the school cant do a background check over the weekend or in the short amount of time they have to hire someone. You get a MOU, or Summary of Offer.

A background check doesnt take very long though, because of the practicality of several of the elements.
They should already have access to your confidential references through your agency. Your teaching certificate can be verified online.Criminal background checks can be done online.
Checking your transcripts, degree is a phone call. The health/medical check is dependent on information you either supply to them, or they arrange once you arrive, and there are very few things that would disqualify you for a visa.

Personally given how much your investing and how little they are investing in you, I wouldnt be surprised if they are just holding out a little bit longer. Personally, outside of the ESOL circuit, I wouldnt trust a school that didnt provide airfare to a teacher directly. The whole thing about it "being easier for them" is a weak argument. Booking a ticket is 5-10 minutes on the internet and a credit card. Why cant they do that? The answer is they can, they just dont want to invest the money for a ticket upfront for you.

Whether the school is "worth it" to you depends what options you have available. I have to think if you had better offers in the wings youd take them, right?
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

psyguy - well I just got an offer today, that's why I'm re-considering or rationalizing because I did sign, scan and email back a contract but their offer was conditional. But I was just offered a job at an international school in the States and I like the offer and its firm and a good school. So
it seems to me my acceptance of job 1 is therefore conditional. They had a good month to check references and that's either a phone call or an email.
PsyGuy

OK

Post by PsyGuy »

Where do you want to be? If it was me Id take the IS in the States. If they have had a MONTH to do the due diligence, they are stringing you along. A conditional offer isnt an offer, this late in the game and after this long.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Yeah, I don't know of any reputable international school that would string a teacher along like this.

I'd take the US job. If you want to go international later on, then hopefully it will be at a more professional organisation.
sapphire

Post by sapphire »

higgsboson - Congratulations on the new job1
anon

Post by anon »

You pay for airline tickets in advance? (Shudder!) And then be told what...you didn't buy the right class ticket, etc.?

Stay away!

If they are so disorganized now, think what it will be once a teacher hits the ground...
Singablesong

Post by Singablesong »

Psyguy, I need an advice, urgently! The situation is quite similar to the previous one.

5 days ago I was offered a job and received a conditional contract to sign within two days, which I did. No signature from their side, though. They told me they need a teacher ASAP. I've told my employer that I will be leaving soon and started organizing my trip.

I haven't received a confirmation from the first school, and then I noticed something odd in the e-mail which led me to conclude that they've sent the same conditional offer to another teacher as well. That doesn't seem professional to me, but I might be too naive!?

In the meantime, I've had a Skype interview with another school and foolishly told them that I was not available (anymore). They interviewed me anyway and I like this school much more.

Should I call the first school and try to rush things (and possibly ruin my chances for being impatient) or ignore what I have signed and try to get the offer from another school?

Thank you for the advice!
AnnieT

Post by AnnieT »

Pick up the phone and talk to the head of School A, ask about when you will get comfirmation.

If they cannot speak to you for any reason then take the second affer.
sid

Post by sid »

Please don't rationalize.
You made an agreement. You had a chance, before you signed, to decide whether you liked the terms or not. That time has passed.
You mention a month has passed, plenty of time to get a reference check done. Well, who says they haven't done it? There are several other terms in the conditional offer, and are those all done? You can't blame the reference thing for your backing out, if in fact it's for other reasons that the contract isn't complete yet.

I hold no illusions. If you really want to get out of this first agreement, you will. But don't blame the school or claim it's naughty when in reality you were happy enough to accept the offer in the first place, and the offer hasn't changed. What's changed is you, or what you have on the table.

If you want out, tell the school now. Leave them the time they need to find someone else, now that the hiring season is dying down and recruiting is much harder. And protect your reputation by doing it politely and professionally.

We've all had second thoughts. There is always some 'reason' we can point to as to why we want to change our mind. You need to do some soul searching and decide what you really want.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Singablesong,
Do whats best for you and screw the school. My advice is accept both offers and just don't show up for one. They'll soon figure it out and find another teacher. And don't worry about your reputation. I've been doing over schools for 30 years now and I have no trouble getting jobs. Its the nature of the game. This school Sid is so worried about will do you over in a second and everybody will just shrug their shoulders and say tough luck.

Do them before they do you!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

A few responses to posts on this thread. My next school has me pay the airfare and get reimbursed upon arrival. After that they pay yearly travel. No red flags, because they cover everything else. Paying airfare and being reimbursed is not extremely unusual in IT.

As for taking another job - contact the school in question and let them know you have another offer. See what they say.
National

Post by National »

I'd like to second Shadowjack's comment on airfare/reimbursements. My current job and my next job both had/has me purchase my airfare and get reimbursed. In fact, at my current job, I also had to pay for my IB training and then get reimbursed once I started working. That one did worry me, but I was reimbursed within a day of showing receipts once I started work.

I don't think that reimbursement needs to raise any red-flags. I am sure there are schools that don't require it, but there are plenty of decent schools out there that do go the reimbursement route for initial tickets/trainings. It makes sense to me-- if the person decides not to show up for the contract, they aren't stuck having paid for your ticket or your IB training.