Conditional Offers

shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Singablesong,

Not trying to yank your chain, but are you unhappy because you are now visualizing school 2 as your dream and the reality of school 1 doesn't measure up?

Even before school 2 came along, you had accepted the position at school 1. So I am wondering what it was that attracted you to school 1 in the first place? Were you promised the moon and were misled? Is the head, who seemed to be so nice really a tinpot dictator in disguise?

What research did you do on the school that hired you? Did you talk to anybody who had worked there or was working there (and not just the one or two emails the recruiter gave you?).

I personally know schools that sound great, the directors walk the walk and talk the talk, but the reality on the ground is far from what was pictured and presented.

That said, you realize that school 2 could be just as bad or worse, right?
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

[quote="Fortesias"]To Higgsboson and those that accept multiple offers. I am very new to this and just accepted my first job. Don't you have to pay search fees though if you accept multiple jobs and then decline later? Or do you just apply own without search? I'm not judging, just confused because I thought the fee to pull out of the contract was very expensive.[/quote]

As a relatively " new " teacher in my early 30s with only 7 years experience, I have been very fortunate in finding " Tier 1 " schools by myself without the help of big fairs like SEARCH. In 7 years, I have 2 " Tier 1 " schools under my belt. I did attend a fair once while I was still in college, getting my certification, as I knew that upon graduation, I wanted to fly out and start right away. I got multiple offers ( 4 ) at that fair. I played my cards very well. In the end, I didn't take any of the offers bc I found my first " Tier 1 " school by myself.

However, I DO NOT advise you to " play your cards " well with multiple offers from fairs unless you have / are the following :
a) A good strategist
b) Personality : You have the right balance of confidence to hold your own
c) There is something particular about your experience or yourself that recruiters, heads and directors find unique and interesting

At this point, if I keep on going well with my experiences at these Tier 1 schools, my resume would speak for itself. However, I do see myself attending the Bangkok or London fair sooner or later....I'll give my new " Tier 1 " school several years and see from there.
mbovi

Post by mbovi »

[quote="Singablesong"]Thank you, everybody,

I am in my new school (the first one), quite unhappy, because I ruined my chances with another school, which offered much better conditions. All I wanted is to be honest and fair.

I should have been smarter and questioned things more.[/quote]

Dear Singablesong :

I think of it this way : International schools usually have lines and lines of candidates wanting a job. International schools also change staff, recruiting heads, directors, principals often. The question is : Do you really think they would remember you if you rejected their CONDITIONAL offer or letter of offer? I think that at that point ( unless you signed a contract ), you are NOT tied to anything.

I also think that as international teachers, we have to be just as shrewd as the international heads are while keeping a disguise of " modesty and passivity ". In the international education field, we do not have governing bodies that make international schools accountable to the public or to us individual teachers. The ONLY person that can protect your interests is yourself.

Happiness in a job is key to success. If you already have the negative feeling outlook ( simply bc the school is bad ), you are right in feeling that way but remember that it was YOU who made the decision. In other words, if you already felt that School 1 was " less than desireable ", you should have taken the gamble to take the other offer at School 2. After all, School 1 would eventually forget about you, months will pass, more pressing issues at school will come up and you will be forgotten....free to live out your career, happily, at the school of YOUR WELL-INFORMED CHOICE.

Lessons learned :

1. Conditional Offers are not necessarily binding. The same way that international schools are keeping their options open, so should you.

2. You have to be :
a) Shrewd
b) Assertive
c) Meticulous
.....when it comes to protecting your interests as a teacher in the job search and decision-making. Although I previously did not advise someone to " play their cards very well " with multiple offers, I do advise it for people who are shrewd...assertive...meticulous.

3. Internalise this : The only person who can help you in the international education field is yourself. Be true to what you want, what you can handle as a professional and go for it.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Singablesong

I would contact school 2 and see if its still available, you may get lucky. Even then i would continue to look for a new school/position. A piece of paper with your name and signature on it is not a reason to be unhappy for several years of your life. You only get one turn at life, and no one will care that you "honored your contract" when your gone and all is said and done (especially considering that in most of our lives far more is said, then usually done).
happygolucky

Post by happygolucky »

I have been exceptionally lucky as I was headhunted by my soon to be new employers for a specific post. I received an email telling me about the job, the conditions and offering an interview. The interviewer said they had done their homework on me and really the interview was for them to be able to see who I was and sell the school to me. They did, I was very impressed and I signed. Events since with communication from them tell me Ive most definitely made the right decision.

I have not worked per se in a Tier 1 school but as someone else said if you have 'a unique skill set' that makes you stand out this matters more than the schools Ive been at.