Drivers license & address

dreamgiver

Drivers license & address

Post by dreamgiver »

I'm leaving soon for my first job abroad. I need advice about driver's license and what address to use. I am going to rent out my house so don't want to use my current address. I'm planning to use my mom's address in another state as my permanent U.S. address for bank accounts, etc. I have a current driver's license in my state. I need to have a current license so I can drive when I come back on vacation and if I want to rent a car abroad. However if I'm using my mom's address in another state, I don't think I'll be able to renew my drivers license online from my state. And then when my license expires I'd have to go through the whole testing process to get licensed all over again in another state when I come home on vacation sometime. What do you guys do about driver's licenses? Would getting an international driver's license solve this problem?

Any other advice about using an address of a family member in a different state from where you originated while you're abroad?
PsyGuy

Sigh

Post by PsyGuy »

An international driving permit (IDP) is not a real driving license, its a Translation and summary of your driving privileges back in your home country. It doesnt function separately from your state drivers license. That being said, many places ive been never asked for anything past my IDP, but they are only good for one year (you can purchase two and have them dated back to back, sometimes).

If you rent a car your credit card will have to match the license anyway. Either head back home and get your license switched in the state your mom lives in before leaving, or just use your current license where your house is that your renting. You can often renew your licesne by mail or online, and have it sent to a different address. I know you said you dont want to do that but would you rather do that or make the home trip to get a license there?

A third option is also to a license in the country your going to, dont reccommend it they usually make you take a test in the new country and they will probabley make you test all over again anyway.
heyteach

Re: Drivers license & address

Post by heyteach »

The credit card does not have to "match" the DL, whatever that means. When you use your credit card online, the billing address must be the one on record; if it's currently your home address, change it to your mother's.

I don't think it will be a problem to renew your license online and have it sent to your mother's house, assuming that online renewal is an option in your state. There are thousands of ex-pats from the U.S. and I doubt a mailing address different from your home address would be an issue. Call your DMV if you need reassurance
PsyGuy

Not always

Post by PsyGuy »

Twice i was denied a rental because the address on my drivers license didnt match the billing address on my credit card. Of course all the other times it wasnt an issue, and many of them didnt even ask to see my actual drivers license.
sapphire

EZ DL

Post by sapphire »

I use my parent's place as my permanent address too and last month when my DL renewal came in the mail, I just asked my mom to sign my name and mail in the check. EZ.

Although, my state of residence is the same as my parents, if I wanted to change my address then I would get a license in that state in order to establish residency.

Is that a possibility for you?
Last edited by sapphire on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Well, PG I guess this is a case of YMMV. I have rented many cars at home and abroad since going international and the address never figured in to it. How would they even know your billing address anyway? Does it show up on the screen when they swipe your card?
PsyGuy

Kinda

Post by PsyGuy »

Its called AVS (Address Verification System), you type the address into the point of sale terminal, and get a response if it matches, if it doesn't the transaction is declined. With car rentals some do have the address appear on screen, as they can swipe and read the information on the magnetic strip from your drivers license.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I am in a similar situation and in my second year overseas. I own a home in Arizona that is rented out and use my parents' address in Indiana for bills, etc. I still file taxes in Arizona and have my driver's license / car registration in that state, even though my car is garaged in Indiana. It has worked out fine thus far. Of course, Arizona driver's licenses last for 40 years. When I place online orders, I input my parents' zip code and have had no issues using my credit card.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Thank you so much for the advice so far. I hope more people post about this.

In light of the fact that I'd really like to continue getting some more advice, let's try to keep the bickering between psyguy and everyone else to nil as I've noticed this kind of thing tends to hijack many threads and divert them away from the original question. I'm intelligent enough to take all of the info into account in making my decisions.
Rhaegar Targaryen

Post by Rhaegar Targaryen »

I am interested in some advice in this area as well. I have taught overseas before, but I want to know which is the best way to go at this point in time.

Do y'all recommend:

Option A
*Current driver's license in a US State (at my brother's address--my former childhood residence)
*Change billing addresses to overseas address
*All bills "online"/paperless

Option B
*Current driver's license in a US State (at my brother's address--my former childhood residence)
*Change billing addresses to my driver's license/US-based address
*All bills "online"/paperless

~What are y'all's general thoughts on this?
~I like the idea of my overseas address, but does having all bills with a US-based address make everything easier/better?
~Is it better to have your billing address where you actually live, or is it better to have it match your driving license (US based) even if you do not live there?
~When I was overseas before, most of billing address were my overseas address, but I had one or two that may have stayed US-based (and I was only dealing with four bills anyway). Are things different now? This was pre-recession and I know places have gotten more strict about the details.
~And--does it really matter one way or the other?

{Thank you in advance for all help and advice!}
anon

Post by anon »

Hello,
The USPO will forward your mail.

Forwarding Service (from the website)
"Whether you’re moving temporarily or permanently, you can have your mail forwarded for any period from 15 days up to 1 year. (After the first 6-month forwarding period, you can extend it for up to another 6 months.) With a few clicks and a $1 charge to your credit card (just to verify your identity), your mail will follow you."

When were international, they only forwarded 1st Class mail to our current school. We had a home P.O. Box # then since we didn't have home mail delivery anyway. In the summer we stopped it, and then put in a new request in August. Of course, anything we could manage electronically, we did. In this way we could keep our state auto license plates and so forth...also our home of record remained the same...

An option to consider...
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Thanks anon. I knew the USPS would forward mail for 6 months but I didn't know you could extend it to 1 year. I'm not going to have anything forwarded to my international address. I'm going to have everything forwarded to my mom. Then she can throw away or open things at my discretion.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

The USPS will only forward first class mail that does not look to contain merchandise, which is defined as under 3 ounces. They do not forward other lower classes of mail. Everything else gets returned, unless you pay for premium forwarding. A TEMPORARY change of address is in 6 month intervals up to 1 year. A PERMANENT change of address is one year. Understand that this can easily add a couple weeks on to delivery times.

Forwarded: First-Class Mail, First-Class Package Service, Priority Mail cards, and unregistered letters.

NOT Forwarded: Express Mail service, Periodicals, Package Services, Parcel Select, Standard Mail, and Parcel Select Lightweight items. In addition, First-Class Mail and Priority Mail service items that contain a non-forwarding endorsement or appear to contain merchandise are not forwarded internationally.

I would change your address to your international address. Even with paperless billing, there may be things such a replacement credit or debit card, or other specific documents that have to be delivered by mail.

Depending on your bills having a US or international address means very little.

Its better to have your billing address match your PR or resident alien card, if you dont get one of those then your drivers license. Regardless, it should be an address you can reasonably get mail at.

When you leave be sure to register with the consulate and embassy servicing your area, when you arrive. They will advise you through the Citizen Service program about filling taxes, and voting.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

When I first went overseas I used my local address, but found that sometimes complicated things--like when I needed a new credit card and they wouldn't send it overseas. There were some other issues that I can't remember, but I did switch to using a relative's U.S. address for all mail. That has been the best solution. She has my financial POA and can open mail, sign my checks, and do whatever needs to be done.
PsyGuy

Agree

Post by PsyGuy »

I will add just like heyteach wrote if you have someone back in the states you can give a Power of Attorney (POA) to and your comfortable and trust them with everything then thats my first option, (especially if your going to sent western union/money gram).

For me the deciding factor was taxes. By having my address listed overseas and with the consulate, I had no problem or issues proving i met the time period for the foreign income tax credit.