Teaching English as a Second Language

anitahorton

Teaching English as a Second Language

Post by anitahorton »

Hello Everyone,

I write a blog at www.artteachtravel.com and I write articles that may be of interest to some of you. Please feel free to look and read. One of the next articles I want to write is about the differences in TEFL, TESL, TESOL (maybe others?) and if getting certified in one of these courses would be a good way to make extra money when traveling/teaching/living overseas. I would be interested in your opinions on specific companies that provide this training and certification as well.

I want to join your ranks as an international teacher for school year 2013-14. This next school year will be my last year to teach in the states. I have been a middle and high school teacher for 11 years and am looking forward to moving overseas in one year.

Many thanks!
Sincerely,
Anita Horton
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

You will prob get better answers on DavesESL Cafe.
anitahorton

Post by anitahorton »

Excellent! Thank you!
mehana

teaching overseas

Post by mehana »

I had good luck with Teach Away....was hired last summer for teaching kindergarten in the UAE. Lots of turnover here--the desert is not for everyone....but Teach Away also has jobs in China, Saudi Arabia, Japan...very professional, supportive, kind and funny staff.
anitahorton

Post by anitahorton »

I've never heard of Teach Away. Thank you! I will review their website. Are you Canadian? I think they are based in Canada from what I can tell. What subject do you teach?
PsyGuy

Teach Away

Post by PsyGuy »

Teach Away is a recruiting agency that supplies 3rd tier schools and public schools in hardship regions. They are popular with recent college graduates, interns and those who dont have teaching credentials. I would advise staying away from them, as if your a real teacher you can do better on your own. Seriously, the middle east is ALWAYS hiring.
mehana

teach away

Post by mehana »

Hi AnitaHorton,
I'm American, have a BS and MAT, certified in 5 US states for pre-K to 10th grade. I had one year of teaching experience with 4th grade and got a kindergarten job in the UAE. Next year, I'm teaching a higher grade.
Teach Away hires for Abu Dhabi Education Council and everything was very organized at the interviewing end (I interviewed in NY) and things went pretty smoothly in Abu Dhabi. 6 weeks in a hotel in the city while ADEC got our residence visas, health clearances, etc done. Nice way to get to know other teachers in the beginning. My apt. is new and beautiful, although the town is remote (we are paid about $300 extra for not living in a city) and the drive to work is over an hour.
Teachanywhere is another recruiting agency---I think for EU residents mostly.
Good Luck with your job search!
mehana

teach away

Post by mehana »

anitahorton--forgot to mention....for kindergarten, I taught English and Math. For older elementary grades, I'll teach English, Math and Science.