ISS Job Fair - Atlanta - December 2012

Eden

ISS Job Fair - Atlanta - December 2012

Post by Eden »

Hello all. I would like some opinions. I am going into my 8th year as a counselor. With the exception of 1 year as a high school test coordinator, all of my years have been in middle school. I have done several presentations and implemented a major school wide program. I also sit on many school committees, have great references, and am the director of my department. I would like to work in the Middle East. Oman, Qatar, UAE or Jordan. I am also open to parts of Asia. Newbie to international teaching. Single, one dependent (13 y.o.).

Do I have a good, fair, or poor chance?
Should I attend the ISS fair in Atlanta?
PsyGuy

Easy

Post by PsyGuy »

I think you will be marketable, and will have no problem since you want to go to the middle east. A couple things I would advise/suggest.

1) Counselors at international schools dont do very much on the mental health side, including psychometrics. Its mostly a student management position.

2) The BIG thing and whats in need right now is counselors who can do college advising. I have to think that being in middle school you have very little experience with that.

No you dont want to go to the Atlanta fair. You want to go to the Boston fair in February. Its one of the super fairs, since its runs back to back with the Search fair. It matters less where the fair is or when it is then how many schools are present with positions in your field. You have the biggest showing at the Bangkok Fair, Boston fair and London fair in that order.
Eden

Thank You

Post by Eden »

I figured I wouldn't do much real counseling.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thank you.
PsyGuy

Sure

Post by PsyGuy »

No problem, personally i dont think you will have to go to a fair at all. Given the region your interested in, i wouldnt be surprised if you were picked up early in the hiring season before the main fairs started.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Agree with PG on this.

Target your schools and send your applications in early (Octoberish). If your resume is as good as it sounds, you'll be doing Skype interviews by the start of November and have a job soon after that.

Those schools in the ME will be falling over themselves to talk to you.

Some may be nervous about you being single with 1 dependent - but I'd bet you'll be making travel plans by the time that Atlanta fair begins.

Oh, and you don't have to do HS counselling. According to my Head of School, MS and ES Counselors are in demand as well.

Good luck:)
PsyGuy

Since were there

Post by PsyGuy »

Since were there, you could have a counselor position for this upcoming year if you wanted to start in the fall.

Very true there are MS and ES counselors, but there arent as many. Small schools typically have one counselor, and big schools may have an ES/MS counselor but then the upper secondary will have several, but they are available. The biggest demand this year in counselors was for those that could do college advising. People were hired at tier 1 schools who werent even counselors.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

I will chime in here as well. I don't think you will need to attend the fairs either. I really regret having shelled out some significant cash for a database and fair registration, only to be hired via TIE contact and a Skype interview. I will be starting as an ES Counselor in Aug., unless you really want to cover your bases and vie for top schools, I think your chances are fairly good without Search or ISS.
Eden

Post by Eden »

@PsyGuy I have two national and two state presentations already scheduled for this upcoming school year. I made a committment and I wouldn't want to back out on that. Also, my principal is not ecstatic about me leaving. She knows I am looking to leave after this year; to leave now would leave the school in an awful bind. I want to leave on good terms.

@ WiseTeach Where will you be teaching (country, city)? What kind of school (public, private)?

@Hallier Thank you. I will make sure to apply early.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

Eden,
Istanbul.
Very excited. I also agree with Hallier... I imagine you will get picked up quickly if you start early. Good luck!
PsyGuy

Fair

Post by PsyGuy »

@eden

I can respect and understand that.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I agree with what the others are saying, but there is a cultural issue with middle east countries. I'm not an expert, but it might make it hard to get a visa. Probably more so if you are female (sorry if you mentioned your gender but I missed it).

I don't bother with middle east schools for visa issues.
Eden

Visa Issues

Post by Eden »

@mathman Really? What types of visa issues? I've researched the schools, plenty of women working there. And I know expats in several of these countries, men & women, married, single, single with children. Please share.
teachit

Visa Issues

Post by teachit »

Eden contrary to what Mathman says, I taught in many Middle Eastern countries, and Pakistan to boot as a single mother. Never found it to be an issue.