The IB Boost

higgsboson

The IB Boost

Post by higgsboson »

I teach at a school where the students rule the roost and I'm leaving so I don't really care. But I think they've gone too far.

For my DP 1 final, I provided the students with a question bank and clear instructions that they would not get the boost. Of course, they wanted the boost so they organized a committe, went to the IB coordinator who then instructed me to give them the boost even though they had a question bank. Hardly seems like IB test conditions but I agreed. I'm leaving anyway.

Well today, he sent me an email and instructed me to give a boost for the topic 3 and topic 4 unit exams I gave a few months ago. In this case, not only did the students have a question pool, we worked quite a few questions in the class, some of which turned up on the exam.

My IB coordinator says its a condition of the DP program that students are given a boost, even on unit exams. I just don't know what to think. I'll probably cave but I'd like to make at least the show of an argument.

Does the IB require I always give a boost? Even on finals for year 1 students who have been given a question bank? Even on unit emams?
PsyGuy

BS

Post by PsyGuy »

Ask your IBO coordinator to show you the global IB directive that mandates a boost. You won't see it because it doesn't exist. At best it's a school specific policy. What would be more accurate is that the school policy doesn't conflict with IBO directives.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Pardon the ignorance, but I'm headed to an IB school after 4 years away from the program...what's a "boost"?
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Well it looks like I'm even more ignorant because I am ALREADY a DP teacher (Groups 1 & 2) and I also have no idea what is being discussed! :(
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

[quote=psyguy]What would be more accurate is that the school policy doesn't conflict with IBO directives.[/quote]

Psyguy, I think it does conflict. The boost (IB conversion chart is the correct phrase) should only be given if IB test conditions are met. I don't think getting a question bank represents IB test conditions. But thanks for the input.
hallier

Post by hallier »

I think the OP is referring to boosting students' raw scores.

I am from Australia and got a shock at my 1st international school, when my 11th graders all starting asking me about 'curves'.

"Huh?" I asked. "The score you get is the one you get."

The reason for our differences in outlook, was that university entrance in Australia is primarily determined by your score on the exams/internal assessment. So the only score that really matters is the score the IBO gives you at the end of the 2 years. Early results in 11th grade were of no life changing importance.

On the other hand, for kids in international schools, the overall GPA matters for university entrance. This is especially the case for 11th grade, as this is (I think) the last set of grades that will affect their GPA before they start applying for college. So low grades at the start of 11th grade cause far more anxiety than in Australia (in my experience anyway).

In my case, I recall speaking with my HS Principal and I did apply some sort of curve, using the school's grading system. However, there was no way a student who showed next to no understanding was being boosted to a high grade level.

At my next school, they actually had a grid which enabled teachers to adjust IB scores to reflect the degree of difficulty for those courses, compared to the non-IB offerings.

It is a very difficult issue (one reason I am glad to no longer be teaching those grade levels). Have you been able to talk to colleagues (esp. in your department) to see how they handle the situation?
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Hallier - the boost is meant only for IB like conditions and I would agree in that circumstance to boost. But given a question bank and then a boost on top of that, well they'll all make 90s and above.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Higgsboson,
do I take it, then, that you work in an American school? I'm in a British school (and was in a "European" school before that), and all grades in years 7-11 are "A-E". Results on in-school tests are percentages, so I guess I could apply a boost to those, but reported grades are all A-E. Does that mean a boost could move a student from a B to an A, or a 6 to a 7 (for IBDP)? That's crazy, if it does mean that...a student who gets a 6 on an IB exam (internal) should get a 6, surely?
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Choirguy - yes I work in an American school so we report grades as A, B, C, D and F each grade with a %boundaries.

The idea of the boost does make sense - I'm not against it. For example, what does a 4 mean on an A - F scale? Percentage wise a 4 is below 60% in HL, so the students would get an F. That's clearly not right.

My problem is how its being used in this case. I gave the students a question bank so IB test like conditions were not met and they should not get a boost. The proof is that if I gave them the boost on top of the question bank, all the students score As for the last two topics.

I did learn something - don't use question banks in the IB.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

As far as I'm aware, subjects in IB's DP have grade boundaries too, which are shown in the biannual Subject Reports. These give a grade (1-7) and a corresponding mark range, e.g Grade 7 = Mark range 88-100.

These do vary from year to year. I take an average of the last three years when grading student's work and for term reports etc. This gives the students a fairly accurate idea of the potential mark achievable for the level of work they are producing.

Predicted grades for university purposes are more 'optimistic' than the predicted grades teachers submit to IB.
PsyGuy

Semantics

Post by PsyGuy »

"the boost" is essentially grade curving when your following IB testing conditions.

Thats a huge misconception, the IBO directs that you CAN boost the scores (when administering under IB test conditions), it doesnt dictate that you MUST boost the scores, which is what the OPs IB coordinator is claiming.

The boost was meant to give students an accurate reflection under actual testing conditions how they would "expect" to perform. It was never intended as a means of simple grade inflation.
hallier

Post by hallier »

[quote="higgsboson"]Hallier - the boost is meant only for IB like conditions and I would agree in that circumstance to boost. But given a question bank and then a boost on top of that, well they'll all make 90s and above.[/quote]

I understand and sympathise.

Is one way of working through this scenario to apply the boost (and keep sweet with your administrator) but apply the IB like conditions (no question banks etc)?

It's tough. At my 1st international school, I felt like I was being pressured to inflate scores (and GPAs). It was not pleasant.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

[quote= Hallier]Is one way of working through this scenario to apply the boost (and keep sweet with your administrator) but apply the IB like conditions (no question banks etc)?[/quote]

Hallier - In the future I won't give question banks that's for sure.

They want me to boost on topic tests I gave 1 month ago and 2 months ago. I already boosted on the final and after I agreed to that, very next day my HOD emailed me that "I needed" to boost on the previous topic exams as well.

Final grades are due and students aren't happy so they turn to their parents who call the owner who calls the pricipal who calls the IB coordinator who then visits me.

Its just one of THOSE schools.
PsyGuy

Sucks

Post by PsyGuy »

That just sucks, sucks to be the admin too in that position. Id just sit down and ask the admin "Hey I get the pressure your under, just tell me what grades to give the kids. If the parents are going to keep pushing until they all have 7s, just tell me to give them 7s."

If i was the IB coordinator and i had to put you in that spot, id stop the guessing game and all the frivolous work your doing and just come out and tell what grades to give.
derPhysik

Sounds crazy but psy has a point

Post by derPhysik »

Being honest (!) and just confronting these people is the easiest way out. I was harassed just by one student and one parent about a low grade. After explaining my position and having my gradebook scoured, they told me to give the student a B.S. assignment and grade it A and put the course average down at A. I should have followed the advice of a teacher who went through the same process and shared it with me- ask them what grade they want (admin) and pencil it in. End of heartache, paperwork, calculations, etc. You might feel a ding on your integrity, but carry it away with you. They are the ones subverting and compromising. I was on the verge of doing it for an entire first year IB DB class when the students alerted me that all their other subjects were higher. I checked the on line data base and the students were right! Their other science and math teachers had them all working at 4-6 and had them all predicted at 6-7! If any admin asks me what's wrong with my class or my grading system I will just request they tell me what grades to award. I could only fight it if there were a group of teachers on my side or at least 2 admins on my side. Otherwise I am whistlin Dixie.

My answer doesn't address your "boost" concerns directly, but in general, I would say in IS you can't fight grade corruption without a few allies. If you have people coming down the pike at you, you've got to say, 'yessir' Do it in the most painless way possible.