last call for country garden school feedback

rangerchuck

last call for country garden school feedback

Post by rangerchuck »

I've only been able to find some pretty benign feedback on this school in Guangdong, China. Does anyone have any kind of feedback they can give us? Since we haven't found any kind of scathing reviews out there, I guess we are assuming things are ok, but we welcome any kind of concrete info anyone might be hanging on to. Many thanks
swissmiss5

Post by swissmiss5 »

Hi,
Although you don't mention what position you are interested in at the Garden School, I will give you my impressions when I visited a number of years ago, as I was interested in teaching the IB program. Bear in mind, I had no IB experience at the time, so was looking for a way in to this 'illusive' program.
Since the Garden School was advertising and not that far from the school where I was teaching, I went to have a chat and was rather shocked at the condition of the school. Unlike the other estate down the road, this place had already seen better days and the lack of material(s) for such a resource rich program was evident. Unless you have reasons for wanting to live in China, or are desperate for an introduction to the IB, I'd give the place a wide birth.
rangerchuck

Post by rangerchuck »

Thanks, swissmiss,
We will both be teaching in the pyp program. I got the impression that technology was not on par with international schools in china. I guess, since we are on a one year contact, we will make the best of it for this year and see what happens. I appreciate your feedback.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

They are barely an international school, third tier for sure. A lot of teachers move in and out of the school ona revolving door, so the school doesnt invest very much in their faculty. They know that most of them are likely to be leaving in 2 years and taking the their IB experience with them for better schools. The school isnt very well resourced, and the owners are definitely pocketing some major money. Most of the students are locals, whose parents have been sold on the "international" value of their IB program.
You have to fight for just about everything both in the classroom, and personally. Most people just give up, sigh collect their pay packet and look for better for their next school.

Im sorry your doing a sabbatical at this school, and not somewhere better.
swissmiss5

Post by swissmiss5 »

Apologies; should have written 'berth'! You'll be fine for a year; you're near HK when you want a change of pace and transport into Guangzhou is getting better all the time. After the Garden School, if you still want to stay, there are plenty of other options for teaching.
rangerchuck

Post by rangerchuck »

@pg
thanks for the heads up...although it certainly won't be the greatest school we have taught in, I'm sure we will have a wonderful experience. I'm not at all sorry we'll be there.
@swissmiss
Thanks for the words of encouragement. We'll have great stories to tell one way or another :D