Schools in Dubai --for parents

SKMNVMAH

Schools in Dubai --for parents

Post by SKMNVMAH »

I wondered if we could look at this from a parents point of view and not teacher pay package or benefits scheme but the education that the children receive at each school.

I have friends moving to Dubai. They are American with 3 children and there for are not really interested in the British curriculum. They have tried enrolling the kids in American School Dubai, Gems DAA another Gems school with no luck. Where should they try next and what schools should they avoid at all costs?
PsyGuy

Info

Post by PsyGuy »

We need more info, why were they unsuccessful?
GEMS isnt exactly an elite prep school, they have fairly lax admission standards, especially if you can pay.
ACS isnt all that hard to get into either.

So I guess the question is what arent you telling us?
SKMNVMAH

Post by SKMNVMAH »

Sorry PsyGuy-- no hidden meaning and no dark secrets plain and simple...

The schools are full. The kids have good grades, are very active in sports and other after school activities. We are sad to see them leave our school.
PsyGuy

Okay

Post by PsyGuy »

Maybe ACS, but for actual americans GEMS isnt "that" full, anyway. You say they dont care for a British curriculum, what about other curriculums, or does it have to be "american"?
scribe

Post by scribe »

Gems DAA is indeed very full and it has an excellent reputation - exceptions are sometimes made for students with records of high academic achievement but not necessarily and it doesn't mean the entire family gets in. ASD is likewise full and will also split families according to admission test results. I believe ASD is the only school that offers extensive Advanced Placement courses; there are numerous schools offering IB diplomas. Established schools with good reputations are bursting at the seams and the options for American curriculum are not as wide as British. Universal American School in the Festival City area offers an American diploma and is very international - over 80 nationalities - the elementary is PYP and the high school IB; some grades are very full but some not, and they're planning to expand the elementary school next year (adding classrooms). Gems has started a "World Academy" (IB) that is an exceptional facility, likewise very international, but one of the most expensive schools in the city. It likely has room since it's only a few years old. I don't know much about Dubai International Academy but their athletic teams certainly have a fair number of Americans on them. There have been lots of start ups in recent years, and many use the name "American" in them for marketing purposes, it's probably safest to choose an established school.