Receiving Gifts/Money from Rich Families

bostonfan19831

Receiving Gifts/Money from Rich Families

Post by bostonfan19831 »

Hello,

Obviously the families of the students are rich. Has anyone had experience in which families have offered gifts/money/ etc etc etc? What are school policies regarding gifts??? And how do student families treat educators that they feel have truly impacted their child???
PsyGuy

Favors

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends where you are, and the school. In europe we arent allowed to accept any gift that might appear to solicit a bias or favoritism. Typically small food gifts and inexpensive trinket gifts are fine. Of course nothing like cash could be excepted, or anything actually valuable.

In many parts of asia, you have to be careful as there is some form of "favor" system usually. Its not uncommon for students in china to give teachers gifts of jade, or other gifts which can be quit expensive, and valuable, with the understanding that at some later time the "favor" will be returned (Guanxi). Typically there are of course policies, which more often are unofficial, and are passed on to new western teachers by a mentoring teacher, or other member of the staff.

Ive worked with some teachers who were happy to accept such bribes. The reasoning being that at some point, the parent/teacher was going to get their way eventually, might as well get something out of it. Its more common at the tertiary/university level then at the primary or secondary level, where more emphasis are on high stakes exams, where a teacher has little access to influence the outcome. Buying all the grades you want, isnt going to help much on your university entrance exams. Of course at the university level there are "other" kinds of gifts, that are less of a monetary incentive a student can offer.
sid

Post by sid »

Most schools have policies limiting gifts. Small things are typically ok, larger things not. Some schools set a monetary value not to be exceeded, so it's easier to agree on what's a big or small gift.

PsyGuy has his experiences, and I won't deny them. My experiences, which range over 20 international school years and schools on four continents, are very different. I see little evidence of parents attempting to bribe teachers/schools, and even less evidence of teachers participating. We're not perfect, but we're a remarkably honest profession overall.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

I've seen teachers get ipads, $500 bottles of Sherry, coffee tables, lamps, recliners, sports jerseys from professional teams, you name it they get it.