US Certification while abroad?

Expatrookie

US Certification while abroad?

Post by Expatrookie »

Hi all-- hoping someone out there has some advice on the following. I'm happily employed, contracted, long-time teacher, etc. My wife has never taught but has always been interested in it. She has extensive professional experience and graduate coursework in her field, and she is perfectly willing to get certificated. My school is willing to offer her a position for next year, as long as she is "working towards" her certification (which again, is just fine with her!).

There are lots of paths towards alternative certification, but unfortunately our home state doesn't offer any applicable ones. Searching the forums here, I found out about Pathways to Teaching though Montana State University, which looks like a very compelling option. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any other suggestions of ways to pursue a certificate while teaching.

Thanks!
PsyGuy

Depends

Post by PsyGuy »

if your looking for the fastest possible route to certification, there are a few suggestions:

1) Alternative certification programs in any state: The main issue is going to be taking certification exams (praxis) and doing your field experience (student teaching, internship, etc). You would have to get approval to do that experience at your international school. They would also need to have an online or distance learning option.

2) Online Schools: (University of Phoenix, etc) As long as they qualify you for a government teaching certificate they are fine. Many of them are more flexible about how you do your field experience. The drawback is they can be very expensive.

3) PGCE: This is the entry level teaching credential in the UK (and Australia). Its all course work and a number of schools in the UK offer it online or by distance learning. There is no field experience, but there are some observations. If the school is fine with you observing at your own school you should be fine.

In my experience the FASTEST way is to find an alternative certification program in the states, that uses Praxis testing and that offers the seminar portion online. You could easily complete the seminar portion over the summer. Praxis (paper based) tests are offered globally (though only at specific times of the year, the upcoming ones are June 9, July 21, and Sept 17), and most states require the praxis I&II. Of course this works out best if you live in a major city that offers testing. Then if the school your working at says they will hire your spouse, youd just have to arrange for someone (most likely the principal) to do the field experience evaluation, and she could be certified by christmas time. Total cost outside testing fees could be between $4K-$5K

The PGCE is the more expensive option, because you have to pay for tuition as an international student, but there is no field experience outside some observations. It would take a year full time. Your looking at about 10k£ for that. This is the best option if the field experience (student teaching, internship, etc) isnt going to be a feasible option.

The private online school is going to be the most expensive costing you about $20K at least plus testing fees and travel. They are the most likely though to be the most flexible.

One last option could be getting an IB teacher award. I would caution against it, because its not going to be globally accepted on its own, but if you are happy at your school and your school would accept it as "certification" it has the benefit of being a short program and requires no field experience, observations, or testing (outside university exams). You can literally do the WHOLE program by distance/online.
seashell

Post by seashell »

I did mine through drexel online several years ago. Cost a mint, but in opportunity costs has been priceless. To be honest very, very easy program and thankfully I had already been teaching as a homeroom teacher and assistant teacher when I was taking the course because some people who had no classroom experience were out of their depth and the program doesn't really give a lot of opportunities for working in classrooms except for the practicum. It took me 4 quarters 2-3 courses per quarter to get my PA teacher license. I did not complete the M.A.
muffinsc

Post by muffinsc »

I'm applying for the Fastrain program at George Mason. They do certifications in primary and secondary, mostly online, but with a summer residential.