teaching job with no experience?

jboeh2

teaching job with no experience?

Post by jboeh2 »

Hello.

I tried to search topics to find a situation similar to mine, but no luck. Let me first say that I am married with two children (age 1&3) I am recently New York state certified to teach Elementary Education (1-6) and Special Ed (1-6). I have student teaching experience in IB and will be starting my online Masters this summer (hope to finish by next fall). Currently, I am subbing near full-time since February of this year. Given that there are about 600 applicants per open job where I live, I’m not betting on a job here any time soon. Extremely competitive. Given I have no full time experience and a family, what are my chances of landing a job at an International School (looking for next Fall)? I am looking in Africa/Asia.
Thanks

Josiah
psychris

Post by psychris »

Yeah, Rochester (and all of western NY) is a wasteland right now. I know from experience. I'd say your chances are better overseas than they are here, but don't expect anything too awesome with your lack of experience and non-teaching spouse. Being a male elementary Ed teacher with sped certification is a plus though.

Have you considered the middle east?

If i were you, I'd join Search and see if anyone's interested at the fair.
PsyGuy

No

Post by PsyGuy »

The minimum for a international teacher at a second tier school is 2 years of full time teaching experience. Subbing doesnt count. Having a family of 4 with a trailing spouse is going to make it next to impossible. If anything id look to the middle east. Search is unlikely to accept you, as they would not likely be able to place you. Id look at TIE online. Sorry but practically speaking your not employable.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Check out DoDEA and DoDEA.edu. If you have a pulse and are certified to teach, we'll hire you. Doubly so with a SPED endorsement. Check all of the boxes for locations that you're willing to work, including Korea. Give yourself about 6 to 8 months to hear back from us. You will hear back by January if you apply now. We are so desperate for SPED teachers that I think we've started a cloning program...
bang

Re: No

Post by bang »

[quote="PsyGuy"]The minimum for a international teacher at a second tier school is 2 years of full time teaching experience. Subbing doesnt count. Having a family of 4 with a trailing spouse is going to make it next to impossible. If anything id look to the middle east. Search is unlikely to accept you, as they would not likely be able to place you. Id look at TIE online. Sorry but practically speaking your not employable.[/quote]

Again I just have to disagree, sorry Psyguy.
Had a conversation the other day with a teacher being the mother of 3 kids.

She told me that having kids was a clear asset while looking for jobs in international schools where many non-native speakers study, as her kids would help the language of other kids to develop as well.

She got job offers in Thailand, Myanmar, Korea, Middle East and she thought it was so easy partly due to her family situation.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

As a parent of 2 with a Special Education certification (and several others), I found it very difficult to find a position. I have great references, a higher degree, and a few years teaching experience. It took me 3 teaching fairs to find a position and it was specifically because I had the children. It's great that this one teacher has this experience, but I'm convinced that this isn't the norm. I've had many, many conversations with other teachers in similar circumstances and I have never heard anyone say that it was a benefit to have extra dependents. UNI told me that I wasn't very employable at their fair and I went anyway. They were right. I then went to AASSA and found the same thing. I was finally successful with SEARCH. So, there's something to be found for everyone if you keep trying but don't underestimate the journey.
sid

Post by sid »

I agree with DCgirl. There are usually positions out there for people with children, but they can be hard to find. While extra English speakers in the classroom might be nice, this is the first time I've heard it suggested that kids make you more likely to be hired. Children are very very expensive for schools, and while most are prepared to pay the required price, they're not really keen to pay for more children than they have to.
jboeh2

Post by jboeh2 »

Thank you all for your honest feedback -oh course not what I wanted to hear. :o) I also wanted to add in that I grew up in Kenya, East Africa. I spent 13 years living there and know swahili. Would love to teach in East Africa.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi,

as a single teacher with trailing spouse and 2 children, it's not quite an "asset", but it definitely helped with getting my current position (in Thailand).
It was actually mentioned at interview that they were looking for families (more stable), and especially with school-age children as it is a highly-Thai national student body.
BUT, I agree that it can easily be a detriment and something they might use against you if there are two like candidates.

Finally, it's late in the hiring season, so getting a job might be easier now than earlier in the season. Any thoughts on that from other posters?
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

I have come to the conclusion that bang is so wealthy, that she doesn't hear what the majority do.

Kids and spouse are nor an asset, I have been told that repeatedly. I would've been able to choose from any of the tier 1 schools with a vacancy if I was still single. As a parent, sending your kids to a crap school is not an option just to have a job. I didn't even bother applying for eh schools.

At this stage, crap schools will hire anyone....
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Mathman,

just for information, I don't believe the school where I am currently is a "crap" school....though there are a lot of Thai nationals, it's still a highly-regarded school in Bangkok - right up there with ISB, Patana and NIST (at least I believe it is, in terms of examination grades and general British schooling).

BUT, again, I agree with you that in MOST cases, one teacher, three dependants, is detrimental.

for jboeh, we may even have a job available if you hurry...
jboeh2

Post by jboeh2 »

Thanks ChoirGuy

Unfortunately, I will not be ready this fall for teaching overseas. We already have our summer booked up visiting my wife's family in the Netherlands. I am definitely open to teaching at Tear 2 schools (as long as they have a good reputation, as your school seems to have). Especially giving my circumstances, I cannot be too picky where I start off either. I love would to teach around Thailand. Do your children like attending school there?

Thanks
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

Sorry Bang thats just not the norm, families and trailing spouses are cost and expense. They bring some stability to a teacher, but overall they are an added challenge to finding a position. There are exceptions of course (there always are), but a teacher with no (full time) experience, spouse, and 2 kids is going to have a near impossible time finding a job.