Kinderworld/SIS Hanoi

rangerchuck

Kinderworld/SIS Hanoi

Post by rangerchuck »

Hello,
Having a hard time finding much info on this school. Can anyone provide details? Interviewed, but really have no idea regarding salary/benefits. Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
chocolatefrog

Post by chocolatefrog »

I did my 2 years there a while back. A nightmare of a management, with no room for being human. Word on the street in Hanoi is that, of the 25 odd staff at the High school here this year, all but two are leaving. Ouch.

Generally, though, the following still stands:
- You have to clock in and out. You are a number, not a professional, so don't expect to be treated like one.
- Ask about holidays. Don't assume you get the same as the kids - you don't.
- Principals are underexperienced and often downright incompetent. Their position depends on keeping Ricky Tan, the owner, happy, so don't expect them to ever go in to bat for you when you have problems.
- 25+ students in each class.
- Generally underexperienced teachers. At least now they are actually hiring qualified teachers, but only because the Viet government demands it for visa purposes. The good ones will often break contract, and will never stay beyond 2 years.

There are several reviews on ISR, and I keep meaning to write one so will try to do that soon. I say, if you are strong, and know how to keep your mouth firmly shut and suck up to management, you will be fine. A good foot in the door school to start in the international circuit and see what the bad schools look like, but if you are a seasoned professional you will despise it.
rangerchuck

Post by rangerchuck »

chocoloatefrog,
Thank you for your input. Not exactly a glowing review, but I appreciate your honesty. Would you care to elaborate about the statement regarding vacation. Also, how would you rate the facilities/technology?
chocolatefrog

Post by chocolatefrog »

Perhaps its changed (at least I hope so), but when I was there they only gave a maximum of 8 weeks holiday for the year. You could choose which holidays you take them in, but the remainder of the school holiday time you had to come in and 'pretend' to work. Most people just surfed the internet and listened to music all day, or watched a DVD. The Viet staff sleep for a solid two hours each day to pass the time.

I understand technology is better now, but I can't directly comment on it. It used to depend on the campus and city. All are different, and have different priorities. The thing about Vietnam is that technology is almost always out of date in schools and poorly maintained, i f it is maintained at all. Lots of viruses, lots of pirated software, lots of things that 'not work today. Try tomorrow'. When I was there they refused to pay for Office, so we had to use generic stuff that didn't always work. Either that or pirate software. SIS is entirely for profit, and they don't want to waste those precious profits on educational/technology equipment.
curracurra123

Re: Kinderworld/SIS Hanoi

Post by curracurra123 »

Staff are lovely. Principles are really nice. Kids are great. This company is shady, so many teachers leave feeling cheated and ripped off.
Micky

Re: Kinderworld/SIS Hanoi

Post by Micky »

I worked there for two years. I mostly agree with chocolatefrog except for student numbers. In the campus where I was at there were anywhere from 10 to 25 maximum in a class. I had 26 for while but only for a the last few months of school but this is not the rule.
In regards to vacation, the days need to be accrued, first year is 30 days and the 2nd is 40 days, which means if you don't want to be docked in pay you'll have to show up.

Some admin is incompetent but not always. The last year I was there we had a highly qualified principal, however she was limited in what changes could be made. If you are a beginner and can tolerate a for profit school and don't mind being nickle and dimed it might work to get experience but if other options are available I suggest you take them.

Another annoyance was the PD Saturdays focused on business strategies on marketing the school and it's services.

The positive part was the parents of the kids were always a joy and wonderful to work with, but this would be the same for any Vietnamese parents.

If you plan on taking the job and are a male plan on wearing a tie everyday.

Glad I am no longer there.