Housing in Stockholm

vthompson

Housing in Stockholm

Post by vthompson »

I was just offered a job teaching in Stockholm. I'm really interested in the position and would love to accept, except for the difficulties with finding apartments. The school offers no assistance, aside from giving me websites that I'd already found on google, and getting a first-hand contract means waiting on a wait list for about 10 years. So subletting is the more likely route, but I'm not attracted to having to move every few months, and even then it looks insanely competitive.

I don't think it's a good idea to accept a contract to move overseas when there's no guarantee I'll find a place to live, but the job looks good.

Does anyone have any experience with looking for apartments in Stockholm, know anyone who is looking for a roommate come August, or looking to give up or form a second-hand contract with anyone? Any help would really be appreciated.
PsyGuy

Insane

Post by PsyGuy »

Its an insane mess only worse here in Denmark. Basically your going to have serviced apartments (little more the suite style hotel rooms), called "long stay flats), or buying. Property agents are hard to come by and it can take 6 months to a year, just to meet with one. I have several friends who work for Ikea, who when they relocated took a year before finding a "decent" place. If your single the long stay flats can be an easy start up option, but they will eat away 1/2 to 2/3rds your salary.

Sub letting is also hard, you have to move every few months (and thats tough without a car) and basically are at the whim of the first renter. About half the sublets arent even legal, and you have essentially no tenant rights.

Lastly, the competition is insane, basically when a prime apartment becomes available, agents and tenants will "bid" on it, and your not likely to be competitive in that type of situation. When apartment does become available it can be gone in less then an hour.
bang

Housing in Stockholm

Post by bang »

Hi!
I have a 95 sq m flat in very central Stockholm, very close to the real International School which will be available for rent from August 10th until December 30th and from February 10th until June 10th (I will be back in Stockholm after New Year for app. 1 month).
That would leave you some time to find another flat.

It is fully furnished, fully functional.

Tell me your email if you are interested.
vthompson

Post by vthompson »

Thanks for the apartment info, but I actually ended up turning down the offer before you had posted it. It sounded like a good position but I just wasn't comfortable accepting the position with that big uncertainty.