What's the best thing a student has ever taught you?

anappleaday

What's the best thing a student has ever taught you?

Post by anappleaday »

We all know why we love to teach. I am curious to know what's the best lesson a student has ever taught you?
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

A student and basketball player of mine who died in a car crash when she was 14 taught me a few lessons and changed my life.

During my fourth year of teaching in a very rough low income school she would come to my classroom and say, "Mr. *****, thank you so much for your stories of travel, I want to do my best and go to university one day and then discover the world. She then would give me candy, giggle and walk away.

As for many, the day she died was devastating. I promised at that point I would live my life to the fullest and not waste anymore time. A month later, I went to a fair and ten years of international teaching has past by. I think of her often and make myself live up to that promise.

So basically she taught me how to live life like it's my last day and it's a philosophy that has worked really well for me.
anappleaday

Post by anappleaday »

thanks for sharing... it's nice to be reminded of what's great about the teaching profession... thought this topic might be a good break from some negativity being posted on this forum :)
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

I once had a principal deliver one new desk to my classroom for a student whose parent had pitched a fit over the old furniture. It caused some consternation among the elementary kids; in the end, I had it taken out. One of the students said,"I knew you would fix it because you are fair." I took it as high praise coming from a kid.

It taught me that while some things may seem unimportant to our adult minds, it's critical to view issues from a kid's point of view.