School vs. Location

sevarem

School vs. Location

Post by sevarem »

I love my current school. The students are great, the school is very well resourced, administration is good, and the school is expanding pretty quickly. I'd stay for years, except...

I hate the location. Possibly I'm just burnt out on the country (this is our third, though non-consecutive, year in this country and we'll be here next year, too), but I'm tired of the dust and pollution, grey skies and filth, noise and rudeness and just, blah, I haven't taken to the city. Some people love it. I don't. For that reason, after next year, I'd really want to either transfer somewhere else or find a new job altogether.

So which do you think is more important? Is is better to be at a mediocre school in an AWESOME location or a good school in a mediocre location? Would you rather have a job that you love, but hate the place you live or be kind of blah about your job, but enthused at the lifestyle/city/etc? Why?
Chris2511

Post by Chris2511 »

What city?
liketotravel

Post by liketotravel »

I'm at my fifth international school and have had this situation.

One time I loved where I lived and highly disliked where I worked. I once loved where I worked and disliked where I lived. Once I even hated where I worked and lived (thank god one year contract).

But now I love both where I live and work and my life is blissful. It was worth the jumping and hopefully the school stays progressive and enjoyable for many years to come.

To answer you question I would rather have a better place to work as you spend so much time and at least you can travel out of the city during holidays and weekends. Going to work to a dreadful place is really a drag and can weigh on you.
PsyGuy

Place

Post by PsyGuy »

Ive written this before, but id take location over school any day. Lots of people have bad schools, and bad jobs, but thats just how it is. You work to live, not live to work. If your location sucks, you end up spending all your time at work and home, thats not a life. If you have a great location then you dont have to Travel out on the weekends, you just leave work, and you end up having a great weekend every weekend, and you dont have to go anywhere. Lastly, its a lot easier for a school to change and improve then a location.
Tundra_Creature

Post by Tundra_Creature »

Location probably wins for me by just a nose, but even then it honestly depends on how bad the school is. If the school is average/somewhere inbetween, then I'd certainly choose location, but if the school is absolutely appalling, then I'd choose school over location.

In short... can I choose a little from column A and a little from column B? :P
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="Tundra_Creature"]Location probably wins for me by just a nose, but even then it honestly depends on how bad the school is. If the school is average/somewhere inbetween, then I'd certainly choose location, but if the school is absolutely appalling, then I'd choose school over location.

In short... can I choose a little from column A and a little from column B? :P[/quote]

I pretty much agree with this. I wouldn't go to a dreadful school just because it was in a good place. I've always kind of weighed it up, applying to great schools in locations I wasn't so sure about (never really know what it will be like until you get there) and I've lowered my school expectations slightly for places I've really wanted to go.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I don't think I'd categorize any of the locations or schools I've lived or worked at to be awesome. So far, I've had good school/crap location (kazakhstan) and mediocre at best school/good location (South China). At this point, I'd choose mediocre school/good location.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Hey, Danda, I think I know which school you might be at and, if I'm right, it's one that my husband and I are considering putting in for a transfer next year. If I give you my email address, would you be okay with answering a few questions?
Danda

Post by Danda »

Sevarem: I'd be happy to.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Thanks, Danda. Please email me at....
Danda

Post by Danda »

I sent you an email the other day. Ask away