How is it to ship paper items?

abarisme

How is it to ship paper items?

Post by abarisme »

Hi! I am now on my shipping to-do list, and I was wondering if it is okay to ship paper school files. I have many files I would like to ship to my new school, but don't know how well paper ships. Also, how is the shipping process? Does the company come to the house and pack everything that needs to be shipped? Do we pack everything up and they come pick it up? Please advise.

Thanks!
heyteach

Re: How is it to ship paper items?

Post by heyteach »

Paper ships just fine, but of course it's heavy. Any chance you have time to scan files and put them on a CD? If not, place the files in plastic bags and seal them in case the boxes were to get wet.

The actual shipping depends on what the school is paying for. Unless you're shipping a whole household, you are probably responsible for the packing and hauling to the shipping company. (Friends that were in DODDS never had to pack anything themselves; it was done for them by professionals. Don't know if that still holds).
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Or scan and send to yourself through your email account or maybe sign up with somebody like Dropbox and put or your docs on a cloud.
stellalocal

Post by stellalocal »

Whenever I've shipped stuff the shippers have come and packed everything for me. I've just made piles/areas of things that needed to go.

With regards to shipping papers, I'd agree with the others, scan it if possible. Do you really need to take it all? One good thing about moving, for me, is that it's a good chance to de-clutter.
PsyGuy

Question

Post by PsyGuy »

Just to ask but how many "papers" can you really need?

If your going to bring paper files, put them in double bagged freezer bags, you can find really big ones in the 2.5 gallon range.

If your shipping boxes of files. Your better off sending them through the mail (media mail, or 3rd class is pretty cheap). You could also use an express service but that would be really expensive (personally Id send them Global Priority mail, but I dont have that much paper). Id avoid anything thats going to take too long as paper doesnt do well at sea for long periods of time. Id REALLY recommend scanning the documents. You can either use a computer and a scanner (with sheet feeder) or go to Kinkos, their copiers can save files to a USB drive now.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Agree - get them scanned and then put them into an external hard drive. Being a tad paranoid, I have all my files in two different hard drives.
PsyGuy

Data

Post by PsyGuy »

I store my files on a USB drive, with a backup to my online skydrive. Once a year I back those up to rewritable DVD.