QSI pay??

autumnrain

QSI pay??

Post by autumnrain »

Anyone have any idea what it's like to work in these schools? I know they only hire non-smokers. I don't smoke but what's up with that?

I noticed that Quality International School is the only international school in Belize. All positions are filled for the up coming school year. I'm just thinking for the future. Any ideas on how dreadfully low their salaries might be?

Maybe it'll be my in for getting a job there in a few years and retire there.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

There are many, many QSI threads on this forum. Take a moment to search for them and most of your questions will be answered.

The salaries aren't dreadfully low. Once you factor in all the bonuses (end of the year, re-signing, etc) and the fact that it's tax-free, I think the salaries are fairly mid-range. We're not going to get rich working for QSI, but we're saving quite well.

Good luck getting a job at QSI Belize though. They tend to offer the plum locations to teachers who have been with QSI for a bit.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

QSI schools aren't tax free everywhere. Depends on the country. Some countries are trully tax free, some are virtually tax free, and some actually have high taxes. QSI doesn't pay great, they pay OK. The big thing is that in some regions you don't find housing and QSI provides housing, which is a big factor.

Belize and a could other places (Italy) are the reward assignments basically. The only real way to get there is to work your way through the less desirable schools.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

QSI schools ARE tax free, irrespective of location. The salary is on a scale no matter where you work and all contracts/schools stipulate that the salary is, in fact, tax free. If the country mandates taxes, they are paid on your behalf by QSI, so that your salary is the same whether you're working in Italy or China. This in itself can present problems, as the cost of living in Italy is obviously higher than China.

Regardless, the salaries are tax free.

PsyGuy, I have no personal issues with you and I have stayed out of all the stranger threads regarding who you may or may not be. Quite frankly, I don't care. With that in mind, please just stick to what you know. You don't have to try to be the last word on everything.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

The one exception to equal pay used to be Phuket, that may have changed since my time with QSI.

Housing is a benefit with QSI which is fairly significant anywhere you work but truly so in Europe. They pay on time, health insurance is ok (I have had the same issues with different companies at different schools), and they have some perks that other schools don't provide which are nice.

Many of the schools are small which may or may not make a difference and this can impact on your course load, your children's education (if you have kids), and you because ultimately the decision making isn't done at the school level its done in Lubljana, which can be frustrating at times.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I've got the pay scale sitting right here in front of me. I'll give you a run down on what I make.

Base Salary = 33,100 (8 years w/ masters)
Overseas Allowance = 4700 (5th year with QSI)
Annual Signing Bonus = 2500
End of year bonus = 2000
Total = $42,300 completely tax-free no matter where you live

Housing has been exceptionally nice at the two QSI locations I have been at. Right now I live in a 2000 square foot apartment in the in China in one of the nicer complexes in town. Health insurance is free and really good ($500 deductible, 90% after that to maximum of $500 out of pocket and then they pay 100%). Flights are covered. Shipping is pretty crap. I think i got about $1600 for my family.

The pay may not be super high compared to the premier schools out there (IS-Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, etc...) but is definitely on the high side of average compared to 95% of the schools out there.

ISR ADMIN NOTE: We removed these comments and ask that you please stay away from posting school evaluation type material to this forum. If you have any questions about what is considered evaluation type material please return to the forum home page and see the HOW TO JOIN / FORUM RULES section. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

mysharona, you're correct about Phuket, which is the one exception to the equal pay scale. I didn't bring that one up because it's such a dream location that I think most people don't mind. ;) Also, because most teachers will not get Phuket as their first QSI job.

But yes, Phuket pays less than the other schools, not because of taxes, but because the school attracts primarily local, middle class Thais who would not be able to afford QSI's customary tuition charge. Because Phuket charges half the tuition, QSI teachers make less than they would at other schools.

Danda, thank you. You said pretty much what I wanted to say, only with numbers.
PsyGuy

Taxes

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats not congruent with my information, especially in Italy. QSI teachers pay their own italian taxes. All other evidence aside if QSI DID pay their taxes (40%), it would make QSI the BEST paying school (even without housing) then any other school in the region (and europe). The tax free issue isnt usually an issue as most (some exceptions) of the places QSI serves just have very low taxes. In most of these places QSI is simply basing and paying your salary after tax. Its one (of several reasons) for the lackluster pay. Thats not tax free. Your still paying, you just in most cases dont know it.

I certainly would not classify the salary as high for a tier 1 school. Its firmly in the range of a tier 2 school. I've also heard and seen housing that is not very impressive (to be fair they have some nice ones too), but it seems that housing quality is very much a roll of the dice.

Phuket is nice, its not that nice. There are certainly other places as nice or nicer.

About the only thing I really agree with the past posts is that QSI has issues. They have their own methodology and pedagogy, it doesnt mesh well with a lot of people. If you nod your head and do what they expect, their way you will greatly reduce your level of problems. They definatley have a "religious angle"in their schools environment. Its really like a lot of places, a lot of new teachers think they are going to go into a region or school and change things to their way, it doesnt work that way. A lot of people who have problems with QSI just dont fit well. That said QSI has had salary, taxes, housing, management, organization, and political problems for long enough time to work out the issues, and they havent. They look like a non-profit, but they act like a for profit school. I wouldnt work there, not even at their school in Italy.
autumnrain

Post by autumnrain »

WOW! So you have to work up way from the least desired QSI schools to the most desired?? I had no idea!

Do they not take into consideration other international experience in very good IBO schools that are accredited by the US? And what about other experience be it in the US or Canada? And what about multiple certifications and higher degrees?

I am actually an extremely marketable teacher and it sort of bums me out to read this info about QSI. I can certainly understand how Belize would be a premier location that many people would go for. I'm really just trying to find some decent schools in which to teach in the future for when I decide to retire and buy property. Currently researching the up and coming retirement havens such as Belize, Nicaragua, Panama, Equador. I'm hearing that Costa Rica and Guatemala have gotten more expensive. I'm looking at these locations as I am from the Southern US and the flights would be fairly close to home.
Danda

Post by Danda »

When I say tax free, I mean that it is tax free for the teacher. I don’t care if the school pays the taxes or not. The salary is net. If they tell you you will get 30,000, then you will get 30,000 net. To the best of my knowledge teachers in Italy do not pay any personal taxes. If there are taxes, the school pays them. I’m not sure how long they will pay taxes for people in Italy. I have friends there but I don’t really feel like bothering them with questions about this. Phuket is the other exception. I think they pay about 65% of the normal QSI salary for exactly the reasons that sevarem says.

QSI in Europe does provide some nice packages when you factor in the fact that the pay is net and they provide nice housing. Their packages are particularly attractive in Slovenia, Slovakia and Italy. Some of their other locations eastern Europe aren’t terribly attractive. If they had schools in Western Europe and had the same salary and benefits structure, they would definitely be some of the best packages around. Making 42k w/o taxes and housing thrown in would be huge in Western Europe.

As I said, the salary is high end of average. It doesn’t compare to the elite schools but is very comparable to the Tier 2 schools.

The issue with religion really depends on where you are. The majority of the leadership in every school I’ve taught at is very religious. It is kind of like living in the Bible belt at times. However, you can get by without being religious but I wouldn’t advertise that I was not religious.

QSI does have issues at some schools. They are a large organization that has 35ish schools in 25ish countries. It is a large organization that isn’t run that efficiently. However, to say that they operate like a for-profit is laughable. They are so far from being money motivated. Jim Gilson will do everything in his power to hang on to people and not make even necessary cuts. They will completely overstaff schools and even transfer people to other locations that are equally overstaffed rather than let people go.
Roundtrip

QSI after 60

Post by Roundtrip »

I completed an application with QSI, but have never received any correspondence from them. I am highly qualified in eight subjects, have excellent recommendations, 16 years experience and have prior overseas experience. I think it all boils down to the fact that I am 61. Have any of you heard of anyone in their 60's being hired by QSI? My advice to all of you considering teaching overseas and retiring there....you'd better get hired before you hit your 50's. I have felt invisible for the past 10 years. Should I try to contact QSI to discuss any openings they may have? I apply to openings through TIE constantly, but never even get emails of interest through their site. I can retire at the end of this year in Georgia, but I want to teach overseas again.
Danda

Post by Danda »

@autumnrain: It is not a set system or anything. It is just that people rarely get their first assignment at the better locations like Europe or China. Most people that I know started in Central Asia and then transferred to Europe or China. It is true that most people pay their dues and then head somewhere better, but that is not always the case. I know people that in their first post were given some of the prime locations. It really is luck of the draw sometimes. It depends on what you’re qualified to teach and what the openings are. There is no set tier system that you work your way up. There is also no guarantee that you will get what you want. You may want Eastern Europe but if there are no openings there you will not get it. You may be offered something else or you may stay another year to see if something better opens the next year. I spent 2 years in Central Asia and then transferred to a much better location in China. I wouldn’t hold your breath for Belize anytime soon. There are 12 kids there, which means there is probably a director and 2 teachers there covering everything. I’d consider that location when the school hits about 150 kids. If the package in Belize is the standard QSI package, it will be one of the best packages in Central America. I hope that QSI opens more schools in better locations. Right now there are only a few locations I’d even consider.

I’m going to go ahead and tell you that judging from your posts thus far I don’t think you would be a good fit for QSI. In your original post you ask how “dreadfulâ€
Last edited by Danda on Tue May 08, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autumnrain

Post by autumnrain »

Danda, here’s the thing. I simply did not know that once one was in the QSI system, per se, one can essentially move upward and onward to QSI schools in better locations. The way it sounds is that once someone is working for QSI, they gain somewhat of a seniority status and are probably considered for QSI schools in better or more desirable locations over other applicants with plenty of non-QSI international school teaching experience. If that’s the way QSI works, then that’s the way they work and that’s fine. Good to know. Personally, when I decided to go international back in 2000, I chose not pursue jobs with QSI as I felt the packages were not as good what I thought I could find (and what I did find) working in other international schools.

With regard to your comments that I used the coinage “dreadful payâ€
autumnrain

Post by autumnrain »

Rountrip... I am a teacher in Georgia also. Where are you? Or, if you'd like to correspond off forum, send me you email addy. :):):)
Danda

Post by Danda »

You are right about the seniority system. If there is an opening in Bratislava and I request a transfer there with 8 years total experience and say 5 with QSI and you apply for a job in Bratislava with 20 years experience but no QSI or even only 2 years with QSI, I will get the transfer and not you. QSI does reward seniority with QSI more so than total experience. This rule is not always followed. I know people with less experience that got transfers over more experienced teachers. Why? Because they had better references from their QSI bosses.

I apologize if my comments offended you. That was not my intent and I understand your irritation. The last few sentences of that paragraph do seem a bit harsh when I reread them (I removed them). That part was more about my annoyance with people that complain about things that they knew they would have to deal with before they took the job and not about you. I was not trying to say that you are a whiner and you are right I don’t know you at all. My point was that QSI can be incredibly frustrating and if you come into it with the wrong attitude it will make you miserable. At both of the schools I’ve worked at, which had issues but weren’t that bad, I’ve been relatively happy but others just can’t handle what QSI asks of them. If you don’t like the mastery system, stay away because it isn’t going to change. If you don’t like the pay, stay away. If you don’t like the crappy locations and difficulty getting to the better ones, stay away. If you don’t like the idea that you may end up working for an evangelical Christian, stay away or choose your school wisely because it could happen.

I try to be as honest as possible with regards to what QSI is and isn’t so that people can make good decisions about whether it is the right choice for them. When I accepted a job with QSI, it was completely blind because there was very little info on this forum or any other. I hope others don’t have to do that. QSI works for me because I have adapted, but is not ideal for me or many others. It has its issues, which you just have to deal with. It may work for you and I would recommend it to most people as long as they know what they’re in for.

Belize is a sweet location for a new school, but I doubt it will be a viable transfer option for most QSI people for quite some time. I’d love to get there but as a secondary teacher it has to grow a lot before I’d ask for a transfer there. I wish they’d build some schools in other Central or South American locations as I’d love to get to that part of the world.

Best of luck finding something suitable.