Fine and performing arts

defygravity

Fine and performing arts

Post by defygravity »

Would you all mind describing your fine and performing arts programs in the international schools you've been in, at least to the best of your knowledge?

I'm looking for further info about the frequency and length of classes, subjects taught, the importance of having well rounded students to the administration and parents, really anything that you can tell me.

Any info on the demand or lack thereof of arts jobs would also be appreciated.

My husband and I are planning to start the process in a year. He has a bachelor of music education degree and is certified to teach k-12 music. I have a bachelor of music education degree plus 30 hours of theater education classes, and I am certified in k-12 music and 6-12 theater. We will have ten years of experience. No dependants.

Thanks in advance!
PsyGuy

Sure

Post by PsyGuy »

We have a shared music band room. Emphasis is on instrumental development and not vocal. We have one art studio, but a second multi purpose room that functions as a art studio, and serves as the theater workshop. We also have a theater that is used by the music department as well.

We have two type of classes. Seminar classes, and studio classes (also called "labs").

To understand first, secondary teachers dont have their own classrooms. They are shared in a department. While a teacher will be scheduled into the same classroom as often as possible, they do move around. Teachers have an office in a teacher work area, and then classrooms are "purposed" multi function rooms. There is no "teacher desk" in the classroom. There is a front table and lectern, and then a serious of tables grouped together that seat 4-8 students. Shelves line the walls, and each room has a projector and white board. Purposed means that the science department shares a suite of rooms, the literature department shares a suite of rooms, etc. Some teachers do have their own room, such as primary, SPED, computers, etc. In those cases these teachers dont have an office, their room is their office.

So secondary students split their time between seminar classes and studio classes. Seminar classes are in regular classrooms and studio classes are basically in the "lab". Seminar teachers basically dont run their own studios though. Seminar teachers assign projects for studio time and students work with the studio teacher on that project.

Seminar classes run 45 minutes and studio classes 90 minutes. Our daily schedule is blocked into 2 sections, the morning session, and the afternoon session, depending what grade your in and your lunch period determines which is longer. Generally the shorter session is studio, and the longer session is seminar classes. So as an example a student will have seminar classes in the morning, and then in studio classes in the afternoon have:

Monday: Art Studio
Tuesday: PE Studio
Wednesday: Science Studio
Thursday: Computer Studio
Friday: Theater Studio

School runs from 8:30-2:230 (6 hours). So for most teachers you have the "long day" in your week, which is your day that week in the studio. You usually only get your lunch period and home room off that day. Depending on your day you'll have students from all different grade levels, doing various projects. The seminar teacher adds the project, to the computer calendar, and the entire department "preps" for the week together (what really happens is each seminar teacher preps their own projects). So if your the studio teacher that day, you just check the daily calendar to see what students are doing that day, and "mentor" throughout the day.

So one day a week you have your long day, you also have one day a week for your short day, in which case you will have 2 classes at most that day (and homeroom/lunch). So if your a music teacher and Monday is your studio day you show up to the music studio and you have 4 classes, 3 secondary at 90 minutes (accounting for settling/cleaning up about 80 minutes), and a primary class of 45 minutes. You have about 45 minutes off for lunch/homeroom.
defygravity

Post by defygravity »

Wow, this is great info! Thanks! What an interesting way to run classes.
defygravity

Post by defygravity »

I would really, really appreciate any other info. Even if you could post what arts classes your school offers, that would help. Thanks so much in advance!
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Well, I'm at a much smaller school. 250 students and growing. Here's a quick breakdown of what we offer:

Performing Arts
Elementary school musical: I was one of the directors for this. It's the first time the school tried it and the response was overwhelmingly positive from students, teachers, and parents.

We also have two middle/high school drama productions a year.

Music
The students can study violin or vocal music. They also seem to pick up guitars and recorders. There are several concerts and performances throughout the year, including those that involve other international schools in the area. They've gone on opera field trips and had the opportunity watch the Eton Boys Choir when they came on tour.

Fine Arts
The students go once a week for a double period. They produce all kinds of really cool stuff in a variety of media. We have art exhibitions that involve schools in the area.

They also study graphic and web design in the upper grades.
PsyGuy

Notes

Post by PsyGuy »

I should note that our school isnt huge, around 450 students. Our scheduling system is uncommon and not because of some great philosophy, but simply because of a lack of space. We really only have one art studio, one music room, one science lab, etc. but they are big, we just dont have big classes. It was the best way to get more then one class into the room at a time, and minimize transition time between classes.

Many schools have traditional "daily" or block schedules. The shared classroom concept is very common though in european schools.
chocolatefrog

Post by chocolatefrog »

We have about 300 kids in our school. There is one tiny music room which is difficult to fit all the kids into, let alone instruments. They actually got a data projector this year, after waiting 3 years while the more "important" subjects got them first. We have a school musical in elementary, but the music teacher is not involved. An elementary teacher gets paid to do it, and no, I am not joking. No musical or events in secondary. We have one music teacher for the entire school.

Our art lab is bigger, but half of it is used to store equipment and supplies which are quite good (because they are cheap to buy here), to the actual table/work area for the kids is really small. They have a big screen tv, but it is permanently broken. We have one art teacher for the entire school.

We have no dance or drama teacher or facilities. The music teacher and PE teachers are expected to help with that, when needed, or it is just ignored.

Overall the school and the staff have a very poor attitude to Creative Arts programmes. They feel that its a chance to dump their kids in another room so they get release time, and for management the only reason the arts are kept is so they can get accreditation.
PsyGuy

Alas

Post by PsyGuy »

I really do feel for fine and performing arts programs, they always seem to be the first to suffer, in a falling school. You can learn a lot about the quality of a school by how it implements the arts.
Life Is Good

Fine and performing arts

Post by Life Is Good »

I have taught music in 3 international schools, and have done my share of research as I'm about to move to my fourth. There are no set programs or rules. Some schools teach general music, which can mean a mix of theory, piano, guitar, singing, music appreciation, etc. Some (mostly American Schools) offer band and choir. Schools that teach the MYP usually have general music instruction. I have taught general music, band, HS electives (in which I could choose what to do), drama, and ES music.

I know of schools which have husband and wife both teaching music. Unless it was a large school, one would be teaching younger kids, and the other older. It seems that once schools get over 350/400 students than you have 2 teachers. I did k-12 in a small school of 270.

My recommendation is to apply to schools which offer programs with your strengths and wishes. There are so many schools out there, and wonderful places to live and discover. The larger more established schools will/should have more established programs and curriculum. Is this what you want, or would you like to develop a program? It's all up to you.

Good luck
defygravity

Post by defygravity »

To PsyGuy:

I hear you on the issue of the arts going first when things get bad. My husband and I have decided that going because of the adventure is the best thing, and not to expect anything different than what we know exists of arts in the States.

To Life Is Good:

Thanks for the advice! It's great to hear from someone who is currently teaching music overseas. Do you have any recommendations for what materials to bring with us? Did you bring any of the instruments that you play?

Per your post, my husband and I have been discussing which we would prefer, an established program or developing a program. I think both would be interesting to experience, but as it gets closer I suppose we will try to lean one way or the other.

Thank you so much to everyone who replied!!!!