A question about shipping clothing

dreamgiver

A question about shipping clothing

Post by dreamgiver »

I'm headed to my first international job in Thailand where it's very hot 365 days a year! I was only planning to bring my small wardrobe of hot weather clothes and buy the rest there. I am coming from a cold & rainy climate so I have lots of clothes for that kind of weather that I was going to leave behind. I was planning to bring a small amount of cold weather clothes in case I travel to cold weather places. However someone just advised me that if I think I might move on in a few years to a place with a colder climate, I might want to go ahead and include my cold weather clothes in my shipment to Thailand now. Because that way when my next school pays to ship me from Thailand to wherever, I can ship it all together. However if I leave them at home in the USA, then I have to ship some stuff from Thailand and some stuff from USA and it becomes a big bother. And I hear schools don't tend to pay for you to ship stuff from multiple locations. So, for those of you who have worked in several different climate places, how did you handle this? And guys, think female packing here. I'm not gonna just throw a couple pairs of pants, a couple sweaters, and a pair of boots in a suitcase and call it a wardrobe! :) Thanks for your advice!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

What are the terms for shipping from your school in Thailand? If they will ship to your next destination, you can use them to ship from Thailand to say, Russia (would that be cold enough for you?). Then use your new school's shipping allowance to ship from your home country to there.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

[quote="heyteach"]What are the terms for shipping from your school in Thailand? If they will ship to your next destination, you can use them to ship from Thailand to say, Russia (would that be cold enough for you?). Then use your new school's shipping allowance to ship from your home country to there.[/quote]

Oh, thank you heyteach! Being a newbie I didn't realize my Thailand school would probably pay to ship stuff out after I leave, if I'm going to another school. I knew they paid to ship back to original home if I'm repatriating. So if I combine that with a shipping allowance from my next school, that could be pretty good. Kind of a hassle to have stuff coming from two places, but doable if need be.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Do you really want a bunch of clothes that might sit in a box for two, three of fours years cluttering up your, possibly, small apartment. I'm assuming you'll go home sometime during your contract. Why not bring them back with you then, if you sense you might need them.

If you plan on travelling to Mongolia or trekking around the Himalayas during your Thaialns stay then you might want to consider bringing them, but otherwise, leave them at home. From Thailand it is warm to hot in all directions for about 1500 miles.

Don't use up valuable wardrobe space.
seashell

Post by seashell »

Keep in mind that stuff can get moldy, weird moths can appear, etc. If you have a place to leave it at home probably a good idea. Or store them in those air tight bags that you seal with a vacuum.

You will want just a few cold weather items 2 sweaters, a jacket, a pair of boots for those winter vacations in colder climates or flying home in the winter. One year I had to direct my parents to meet me at at the airport upon flying home with a wool jacket as I´d left all this stuff in the states.

Shoes can also be a problem. I had several pair go moldy while living in Singapore.

Although I believe you can usually find what you need in your location. Things in the U.S. are a lot cheaper and you can definitely find your size. Bring cotton!
Last edited by seashell on Fri May 04, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

My parents live four miles from the airport, so we just ask them to bring our coats to the airport.
lonesomeocean

Post by lonesomeocean »

I agree with the suggestion to leave the clothes you won't need immediately at home. You may not need them at all in the next two or more years, and they will just be sitting around taking up space in your house/apartment.

It is quite humid in Thailand and stuff can mold/mildew fast and easily. When I lived in SE Asia, we'd always come back after the summer holiday to find that a bunch of stuff had gotten moldy and mildewy from sitting around with no air-con for a month.

You may also decide you love it there and stay for years, or your next post may be another one in a hot climate. After a certain point, you'd probably find you'd want to replace most of your old stuff anyway.
PsyGuy

Cheap

Post by PsyGuy »

Leave it at home, especially the boots (Thats like a quarter of a suitcase for one thing). Your school may not provide a return shipping allowance (some schools split the shipping allowance, some consider it one way only). You need to design a wardrobe around one or two color themes, one dark (like black) and one neutral color. Leave the single wear outfits (that have several pieces but only work with that outfit). The only think necessary is shoes (hard to find above small sizes) and bras (anything above a B cup is going to be next to impossible to find). You will need a wrap and a light cover or sweater. Thailand outside is hot and humid and AC is usually turned up high so that its 70 degrees inside. Make sure you check with your school about their dress code, if they have one and plan accordingly. You might have to wear business formal in school.

Cloths indeed are cheap in Thailand, seriously your a girl your going to be doing lots of shopping, so if you dont see yourself wearing something weekly leave it at home.