What is the general perception of these Mexico City Schools

HoraceMann

What is the general perception of these Mexico City Schools

Post by HoraceMann »

I would like to know what the general perception of: ASF, Greengates, and Eton are from people that are teaching/have taught in Mexico City. Which is the most desirable place to work and why?

Also, what is the perception of these schools in particular and coming from Mexico in general when applying for subsequent employment at the end of a contract?

Thanks,

HM
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I only really know about high school, since that's what I teach. But here's my perception of the following schools.

ASF - probably the most desirable due to central location & good package. Has a good reputation as a great place to teach. The student population isn't THAT international though, I think about 70% are Mexican. Has a reputation as a big ". school," both for students and for teachers. Teachers that I've met tend to be on the young side, but there are tons of teachers there so there are probably all types. Most expensive school in the city, so some pretty entitled kids. You'll get your own classroom. Good international recognition.

Greengates - apparently the most "international" in terms of the makeup of the student body. Supposed to be a good place to work. Decent package. Crappy location. Decent international recognition, but not as much as ASF.

Eton - not really international in terms of its student body. At least 90% are Mexican. Small school, which means a tight foreign teacher community. Small school also means you'll be teaching many preps (different classes) but usually there's another teacher willing to share planning together. Some behavior issues. Most students have a great level of English. Best pay in the city. Location is kind of far away, but it's pretty easy to get to. Unless you're teaching primary, you won't have your own classroom. Not so well-known internationally, but it's IB (MYP and DP, no PYP) and SACS accredited so shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps.