Pick your poison: apathetic or meddling parents?

mrwright

Pick your poison: apathetic or meddling parents?

Post by mrwright »

I have a question for all you intl teachers. I have yet to venture into the great abroad, at least teaching wise, so all of my experience (this is my 6th year) is here in Az. I had a disturbing encounter with a parent today and I would like your thoughts as to how this contrasts, if at all, with your experiences out there. I teach at a performing arts charter school and we get ALL sorts of kids. I mean a real menagerie. One issue I have had is some parents, of super high-speed kids, feeing their kid isn't being challenged, so I have to raise the bar. (These are middle school kids) On the other hand, when some kids fail, I get blamed that either I'm making it too hard or not teaching effectively. I mean, if their kid is doing the work and doesn't comprehend the material as evidenced by the test, then it must be my fault, right? That's what happened today. A parent accused me of being responsible for their kid's failure on my tests. This kid does the class and homework, but doesn't do well on tests in general and doesn't seem to care or put forth the effort to actually understand what's going on. Just for full-disclosure, all the material was covered and reviewed, test study-guides were handed out and drilled in and out of class, and the class results were a bell-curve, roughly. I have taught in big district high schools where the parents, and therefore the students, didn't give a shit. The bummer there was teaching kids who were unmotivated. But I have now had experience with super in-your-grill parents who defend their kid at all costs and blame you, and I can't decide which is worse. How is it out there? I know the kids are generally motivated and goal-oriented. At least that's the impression I get. How are your interactions with parents? I appreciate anything you can offer. Thanks.
Tundra_Creature

Post by Tundra_Creature »

Sounds to me that the kid is just having study skill problems when it comes tests. I personally have that issue myself (I'm still in uni studying for my BEd).

From what I can tell from posts here and on the review forums, it honestly depends on the school and the kids, just like back home. Some will be super motivated and parents will be very supportive whilst others just want to see a good grade.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

The majority of my career (also in AZ) was in districts where education was not valued and parents rarely came to school (unless their kid's basketball eligibility was on the line). I had to admire them for the most part, for managing to get themselves to school each day and trying, even if they didn't succeed. I often felt I was the only person on the kid's side and I felt sorry for them.

Now, in two overseas schools, grades--and not the learning--reign supreme. That's all they care about. Whether a kid thanks me profusely for a good grade, or blames me for a bad one, I tell him, "I didn't give you the grade. You earned it."

I don't take credit for good grades, and I don't take the blame for the bad ones. You just have to make sure you've got all your documentation in order.
PsyGuy

Melting Pot

Post by PsyGuy »

Its the same thing internationally for different reasons. Depends on the school (profit/non-profit, owner/board), the culture, students (international/local), parents (entitlement). I've had whole schools of really well motivated students. I've had schools where where the parents and students expected As no matter what. Parents are generally more on the attentive side, basically the parents are well off and can afford to take time for their kids, I've also had a parent or two send the nanny. I've had crazy psycho PTA parents and PTAs that basically run the school.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

My School:

1. Grades are all that matter
2. Parents can be coercive when their students get bad grades
3. When I email parents to tell them about their child improving or doing something exceptional, I never hear back.
4. Only hear from parents about why their kid is failing, but they just want to change the grade, not the behavior.
5. Overall, the students only care about the grade and do not want to do the work to get the desired grade.
6. These problems exist in the middle and high school, and all of the teachers complain about it.
7. Students and parents are always looking for the magical "extra credit" to save their child, but I never have extra credit and they don't seem to understand that if they just did the original work, they could succeed. DUH!!!

To answer the question, I would rather have no parent involvement than all negative involvement.