What to bring...what not to bring

PsyGuy

Suggestion

Post by PsyGuy »

Your not likely to find Biofinity in Seoul, and if you do they will be very expensive (what they do is just import them, and mark them up).
1800contacts (http://www.1800contacts.com) ships to Korea.
I wear daily disposable contacts but i wear them a few days to a week before replacing them. With dailies i can get 90 lenses (45 pairs) for about $65, and they last me about a year (10 months). I find that in places that have high levels of pollution the irritants embed themselves into the contact surface and they are impossible to clean.

I would advise finding a source for your hair products who will ship to your Korea address before leaving. One teacher simply called her saloon back in the states and they shipped her products directly, but shed been using this saloon for years and knew the owner.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Actually, PsyGuy, this is false. I was just in Seoul and they have every American named brand you can imagine. It's also cheaper in Seoul. Seoul is like living in America, only with crazier drivers.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

No they dont, Im not the first or only teacher that had trouble finding their contact lenses in Korea.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

I bought 4 boxes of them for my wife when I was there last month. They have them. Seoul has everything.
PsyGuy

Why

Post by PsyGuy »

Good thing I said not likely, and you joined the forum, one less thing the reader has to worry about.
sdak

Post by sdak »

Thanks WeDoDude for dispelling another one of PsyGuy's "facts".
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Maybe when PsyGuy was there they didn't have them, or he didn't know where to look. Not trying to dispel anything from anyone really.

General rule of thumb in Seoul is to hit up Itaewon. It's nickname is Foreigner Town. It's right by the big U.S. Army Garrison Youngsan. It's a bit dodgy, but that's the point. You'll find many U.S. brand stores there carrying many U.S. brands. Also, you'll meet a lot of Americans that can shop on post and perhaps just buy you want you need. Though the black market is so huge there that they use ration cards on base to shop. But it still shouldn't be a problem.

Also, a lot of great food can be found in Itaewon and Youngsan, even a really good Moroccan sandwich shop and Mexican food place called Vatos. Be sure to get the Dos-a-Rita and the Kimchee Fries. Yum!
PsyGuy

Clarification

Post by PsyGuy »

It wasnt me specifically, I have had a several teachers in the past have problems finding contacts, one was recently in Seoul. I dont really know if they were just a new brand at the time, didnt know where to look, or they really just didnt have them available, or what. Fortunately you had specific experience with that brand before, if you could post the store you got them at im sure the OP would appreciate it. As I wrote, one less thing for them to worry about.
WeDoDude

Post by WeDoDude »

Not sure the name of the store, but it was in Itaewon.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

Thanks for the advice! @wedodude I have heard about Itaewon before. I'll be living in Gangnam. How far is that?
tgrear2008

Post by tgrear2008 »

Gangnam is not far from Itaewon.

You can find almost any product you need here in Seoul.

There is a Costco. You can go to Itaewon. You can order from the internet. You can order from G-market. You can befriend someone in the military.

That about covers it.
Tater Tot

Overseas needs

Post by Tater Tot »

1. Skippy PB is obviously dosed with crack as I also had serious withdrawal issues on my first teaching assignment in the Cloud Rainforest in Monteverde, Costa Rica. Went as far as to have a friend bring down five jars on a trip. I'm since over PB and switched to dry almonds

2. Q Tips!!!!!! You never think about them but for some Americans they must be Q Tip brand. Central American brand are so stingy on the cotton tip

3. I really can't live without my DR BRONNERS PURE Peppermint castile SOAP. I usually have friends bring two if the largest size liquid soap. You can wash your teeth, floors, hair, windows, dog baby, dishes laundry. It's organic and all natural. Try it if you don't know what I'm talking bout.

4. Essential oils like tea tree, lavender and peppermint are costly in some places

5. Baking soda is a great substitute for toothpaste if it's expensive where you live- Or you can stretch your toothpaste with baking soda.

Really---It may be uncomfortable at first- but you can always make due without or find a local substitute. It's an adventure, right?
As long as you have your docs, your family, good music, good food and great books- you can live pretty much anywhere and be alright! :)
PsyGuy

DITTO

Post by PsyGuy »

I agree on the Q-Tips, so many local brands are little more then sticks, but I can stretch one box for a year.

I still havent gotten over my Skippy PB fix, but ive cut down a lot. I can make a jar last a year, and its really a comfort thing, to have a piece of toast with PB on it.
Tater Tot

PB

Post by Tater Tot »

Warm piece of toast with Skippy PB- open face

Did you have to mention it? Urgggh yumm....

Haha