What to bring...what not to bring

WiseTeach

What to bring...what not to bring

Post by WiseTeach »

I am curious about what people have learned to bring with them when moving to their new posts, and what they probably should have left behind.....minimum baggage allowance so I need to be conservative.
PsyGuy

Finally

Post by PsyGuy »

Finally someone who doesnt want to move their whole house and all worldy possessions overseas. I travel lite, checked baggage and my carryon. To start it really depends where your going, and how big of a city your headed too. My suggestion list:

1) Medical: You dont know when your health insurance is going to kick in, when youll have a chance to see a doctor, and a lot of other factors. Generally medication is MUCH cheaper out of the states. Have your prescriptions written in their chemical/empirical formulation (Tylenol is not Acetaminophen its Paracetamol). Have your doctor write a letter listing all your medications, dosages, and what you take them for. Have your doctor stamp it with their department of health stamp. Have your optometrist do the same for your glasses/contact lens. If you use contacts research in advance whats available. Some of the newer lenses arent available yet in many places. Having that little white prescription slip, just isnt the same. Some places require a medical examination and blood work for a visa/work permit. Talk with your school about this in advance, some schools will want you to ahve it done in advance some schools will take you to a clinic when you arrive. Understand that many asian countries will not admit you if you have HIV or TB (thats the reason for the blood work and chest xray). You might want to have a physical before you leave and a letter about any chronic or current medical conditions you have. Im on the fence about vaccinations. Im vaccinated against everything practically, but unless your teaching out in a very rural or undeveloped area (such as a jungle) about the only thing id really recommend is hep a and hep b. If your traveling to africa you HAVE to have a yellow fever vaccination, even if the area isnt endemic now, you dont know how it will change.

2) Documentation: Bring AND have uploaded a copy of your contract, work permit, airline itinerary, passport, drivers license (including international driving permit/IDP). You should also have copies of your kids birth certificates and your marriage certificate (as well as their passports and other documents).
If your planing on driving in your new country you might need an IDP. They are only good for a year, but Ive heard people get and pay for 2 of them and just have them dated for subsequent years. That said if your REALLY going to drive you need to get a local license at some point, try to AVOID giving them your USA drivers license as in some countries they find their way on the black market. Your passport is the most important document, and you should register with the nearest embassy/consulate in your area when you arrive. Avoid walkinga round with your passport, yes you can be asked for it anytime, but the only time you really HAVE to have it is when your going to the bank, checking into a hotel, going to the consulate and registering at the police/immigration office. The rest of the time carry a photo copy of the ID page and your visa page. If you ever get stoped and asked why you dont have the original tell them your very sorry, and you didnt know, but loosing your passport is a time consuming and expensive process, you have to replace the passport AND the visa. Once you get a PR/or alien registration card, carry that with you. Lastly have copies of important banking, including credit card numbers and checking account and routing (ISBN and SWIFT) numbers if you have bills back home to pay or plan on doing a wire transfer.

3) Personal care: So basically unless your really brand loyal to a certain product (shampoo, shaving cream, makeup, razor blade) you can most likely find a local available brand. If your happy with any shampoo for instance you will be fine. When you start getting picky thats when you have problems. Most stores will have one (maybe 2) international brands and unless you understand the language you will recognize them from their packaging. These tend to be the most expensive as well. Some things are just not available (if you use a new razor, you might not be able to find the blade refills), in which case you have to consider the cost of ordering them online or having someone back home send them to you, or switching. Its very impractical except for small things that have a long reuse time to bring enough of something for a whole year (things like soap, shampoo, mouthwash, etc). Ive had several ethnic coworkers who were very unhappy they couldnt get certain hair care products.
Personally, the two things i have trouble with finding are antiperspirant and contact lenses. I use to have a problem finding rubbing alchohol, but then i just bought a bottle of 180 proof grain alchohol and problem solved.
Woman have it harder, guys need like a dozen things tops woman seem to amass a never ending number of bath/beauty stuff (i had a teacher this year who couldnt find a ped egg, i dont know what that is, but took her months to stop complaining about it). If you HAVE to ahve proactive or some other very specific bathroom thing, you need to find out if its available and then decide if its important enough to you to oder and ship overseas. Lastly, if you ever need to find something the airport may have a shop that carries your specific item, and also try asking or checking at one of the international hotels in your area. Sometimes the concierge can direct you to a supplier, or you may find that a shop in the surrounding area has it. You may also be surprised what you can buy from a hotel directly. I had the hardest time finding frosted flakes and was at a hotel brunch once that had frosted flakes, and then talked to the restaurant manager who was happy to sell me boxes of it (though it was expensive).

On a side note hotels are AMAZING resources. Need to send an international fax, no problem. Need something translated, they can do that. Want to go for a swim, ask about a daily facility pass. Want a bottle of Moscatto, the wine steward can take care of you. Need a haircut with someone who understand english, they probabley have a salon, and if they dont have it, they can tell you where to find it. Want to find a certain place, walk up to a hotels front desk and say your sorry but your trying to get to such and such place and they will write the name of the place down on the back of a business card in the local language then write the name of the place in english on the front and show the card to a cab driver.

4) Clothes: It should be no surprise, that you should find out the weather on your region and plan according, (you will not need a lot of sweaters in Singapore, but you will need a light jacket, sweater or wrap. Outside Singapore is hot and humid but INSIDE the aircon is set at 65-70). Some places have wet seasons where everyday you need an umbrella, dont bring one but buy one there. Check or ask about your schools dress code, some schools are fine with casual dress (khakies and shirt), some expect business attire (shirt/tie/jacket). As far as wardrobe stick with one or at max two themes. Blacks and neutrals work well for me., these type of overall themes are easy to adapt with accessories (Its easier to bring one black suit, and 5 ties, then 5 black suits and one tie). Woman have the hardest time with this because they have "outfits" that are composed of individual pieces that dont work with anything else in their wardrobe. Thats a lot of space for one days cloths. I think everyone should have one stuning piece and thats it. Understand that you may or may not have a washer and dryer. You will likely have access to a washer, but in a number of countries they dont use have dryer, you line dry your cloths. As such you should bring clothes that are machine washable, and anti wrinkle or no iron. Plan your wardrobe for longevity. There is little use in bringing 20 pairs of socks, socks are cheap and easy to find. Same thing with button down shirts and other "basics".

The only two things that are must haves are large sized shoes (above a 10) and large cupped bras (above a B) are next to impossible to find in a lot of asian countries. if your loyal (or your kids) are to "american" brand anything like A&F, Aeropostale, Hollister, etc, those brands are not likely to be available locally, or at very high (almost couture) prices.

5) Electronics: Bring your laptop, tablet, etc. Make sure you brink the adapter and a plug convertor. Be wary of other computer devices, most of them will need transformers and things like hard drives could easily short or overload. Things like hard drives, scanners, printers, are affordable and readily available. Of course if you need the hard drive because of the data, then you need it.
Smart phones are a maybe, if you have a GSM phone and can get it unlocked then bring it. If your on Verizon, or Sprint or other CDMA carrier, know that most of the rest of the world uses GSM, and your phone isnt likely to work. Maybe if you have a high end SLR camera, and wont settle for a phone camera bring that (but thats a lot of bulk). Aside from that the only other thing id recommend are an electric razor (if its dual power). Hairdryers and other small electronics are generally inexpensive cheap.
DVD's are a maybe, on one hand you can watch them on your laptop, and there isnt likely to be a lot of english language or american programing. Everywhere ive gone there has been only a couple channels. That said region 1 DVD (USA) proba ley wonk work in a foreign DVD player, and an american DVD player (NTSC) is not going to support a foreign video standards. In many asian countries DVDs can be DIRT cheap, like $.25-$.50 each (yeah they are counterfeit), but thats the way it is.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Agree with the post above on just about everything.

We didn't have a baggage allowance so I brought only what could fit in the suitcase. For the most part, it's been fine. The first few weeks I yearned to return home for a quick trip to Target and the grocery store but I adjusted. I would have brought a few months supply of my branded toiletries. I would have brought some food items like my brand of syrup and my favorite cereal until I found sufficient replacements. I would have brought some good sheets that I bought from a discount department store and some more walking/teaching shoes in my larger (size 9 US) size for Asia. A lot of things I can get but at huge cost. I brought a couple of things that I picked up from around the world and pictures. I would also have brought some more materials from the teachers store.

I would have left some of the fancier clothes and high heels at home. I would also leave most books and invest in a e-reader.
PsyGuy

On Books

Post by PsyGuy »

When it comes to books, it takes a lot of space and weight to bring books in luggage, eBooks are the way to go. Get a public library card from a big city public library. Usually they charge you a little bit if you dont live in the city limits or county, but they have MUCH larger digital book collections, and you can usually "borrow" new releases pretty soon after they are released. This works anywhere (well mostly) you can get an internet connection. Finding english books in many international regions/places can be very difficult to find.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

It all largely depends on where you are. I'm in the middle of nowhere - Central Asia - where good cookware, shoes, clothes, and cutlery is difficult to find or are very expensive. I regret not bringing more cookware in my shipment because I love to cook. But I've learned from other teachers who've been in the int'l game - bring an empty bag whenever you leave for home/vacation/conferences and load them up w/ stuff on the way back. We even bring back cheese and tropical fruit - they never bug us about that stuff at customs here. ;)
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

It certainly depends on where you are going! Is it a major metropolitan area, such as Hong Kong or Singapore, or have you accepted positions in some out of way place such as Central Asia or parts of SE Asia. PsyGuy has some very good suggestions that aren't location dependent, like your paperwork etc. I appreciate his comment on transformers as I have ruined electronics in two different countries by mindlessly plugging them in, avoid that disappointment and buy multi-voltage appliances or wait until you arrive.
There are other threads that deal with this topic thoroughly, do a search to see if you can find them.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Some great suggestions here, and I echo all of them, esp. PsyGuy's comprehensive list. (Oh, and btw, a Ped Egg is like a foot scrub for calloused feet! (I know this b/c I'm female and obsessed with smooth feet... lol)

ANYWAY,
I have to say it really grinds my gears when teacher overseas complain that they can't get something in their preferred brand. Sorry Americans, but what is up with you and your need for Skippy peanut butter??!! I've never had it- does it have crack or something else in it because I can't tell you the number of times American teachers are devastated that they can't get Skippy pb.

So, in my experience, you can get most things overseas, just not brand name. And I've lived in some hole-in-the-wall places. Local brands work just fine. Sometimes, certain things will be much more expensive, so you simply have to adjust your habits. For example, where I taught on an island, cereal (all brands) was incredibly expensive, so I just switched to oatmeal. I've used local hair dye, local shampoo, local toothpaste, and yes, even peanut butter (lol). Everything.

Having said that, this is what I always pack (I also generally stick with two suitcases).

Laptop/Ipod. I found in my first international posting, when I moved into my flat, it was dead quiet. It can take a while to get internet and/or tv hooked up, so I find it's important to have portable music with me. Makes my new place feel more like a home.

External hard drive. I back up all my school/work/personal files as well as movies/tv series on an external hard drive.

My professional portfolio with all my original documents (degrees, birth certificates, all that stuff.) This stays with me in my carry-on luggage. Scan and leave a copy of EVERYTHING with someone trusted back home just in case. I also have all the digital copies on my external hard drive.

I also bring a Costco sized bottle of Ibuprofen with me because I've found that it can sometimes be more expensive overseas and I tend to use alot of it. Certain types of vitamins can also be hard and/or expensive to buy. I tend to bring an arsenal of over-the-counter medicine with me just in case.

Like someone else mentioned, converters and adapters for the different plugs overseas. I bring two of each, because the small ones are easy to lose.

What not to bring:

I find I tend to pack more clothes than necessary. Be ruthless with clothes packing.

Also, I find it helpful to email teachers already at the school/country, and they can advise you on things that might be hard and/or expensive to purchase there.
WiseTeach

Post by WiseTeach »

Great posts, and useful suggestions. I am not, nor have I ever been a brand freak, so pretty much know that won't be an issue. Like the reminders to bring docs. on person. So looking forward to heaving burdents of all sorts and traveling light. Thanks.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

I dont get the Skippy PB either, but its scary isnt it. I hear the same thing all the time. About the only thing thats worse is Brits and their vegemite.

I dont get the brand thing much either. For somethings I understand, (you need a certain blade cartridge for your razor, because only one type of blade fits). For me finding my contacts and deodorant is the hardest.

As far at vitamins go, and big bottles of over the counter medications, i usually ship them from online sources, once I get there and find out whats available.

After you scan your documents, attach them to an email and email it to yourself and a couple well trusted friends/family members. This way if worse comes to worse you can access them anywhere you have internet and print them out.

Postal Script:

So thats what a ped-egg is for, I understand why no one would discuss it now. Thanks
bulegila

Re: Response

Post by bulegila »

[quote="PsyGuy"]. About the only thing thats worse is Brits and their vegemite.[/quote]

Wrong nationality/food. You'll find that Brits like their marmite whilst it's the Aussies that like their vegemite.
PsyGuy

Thanks

Post by PsyGuy »

Thanks you for clearing that up. Hope I didnt offend anyone, and if I did then my sincerest apologies.
stellalocal

Re: Response

Post by stellalocal »

[quote="PsyGuy"]I dont get the Skippy PB either, but its scary isnt it. I hear the same thing all the time. About the only thing thats worse is Brits and their vegemite.

[/quote]

The vege/marmite thing is a bit different to complaining about not being able to get Skippy's PB, as it's not about a brand, you can't buy a local version. In any case, if you have a favourite food/drink that won't be available in your new home, stick some in your case.
PsyGuy

Wait

Post by PsyGuy »

Wait, theres a brand of PB other then Skippy?
WeDoDude

Another Idea

Post by WeDoDude »

I work for DoDEA/DoDDS and we get a very generous shipping allowance, but didn't bring a whole lot with us. Our base commissary has very limited brand availablity also so we got creative.

For shoes and some clothing we use Zappos.com - they'll ship to both our base mailbox and our house out in town.

For vitamins and some brand name items we use Vitacost.com - they'll also ship to both our base mailbox and our house out in town.

Both also offer free shipping.

Another idea is if you live near a U.S. military base, befriend some Americans and the next time they go shopping at the commissary ask if either A) they'll sign you onto base so that you can go with them (you can't buy, but you can't point, hand them the cash and have them pay). or B) give them a list and money.

We also ask friends and family to send us certain things and pay them back. However we have found that we can really do without that name brand item as there is usually something cheaper online, or out in town that works very well.

The only issues we've had is for bathing soap and shampoos. For that we order at Vitacost.com.
iTeach314

Post by iTeach314 »

GReat post! I'm moving to Seoul in July. @Psyguy, I wear contacts (biofinity) and am worried about finding the brand in Korea. So I'm just going to order them online before I go to stock up. I'm also a woman with naturally curly, coily, thick, and coarse hair so the certain hair products thing is important to me. I will be bringing some of my preferred brands, enough that will last me until I can figure out which stores ship them to a Korean address that is not an APO.