Is it normal to feel a little nervous? Advice Please

abarisme

Is it normal to feel a little nervous? Advice Please

Post by abarisme »

Hi guys!

My hubby and I leave to Malaysia at the end of June, and I'm starting to get really nervous! I know it is normal but what can you advise us as first time international teachers leaving family and friends behind and starting a brand new life?

Is Kuala Lumpur safe? Is it easy to acclimate to this city?

I just feel a bit anxious. Please help!
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Wow, you're going to KL. That's awesome. I have to say, I'm a bit envious, which should tell you you're going to a good place. I haven't actually lived in KL, but we were just there over the winter holiday and I was surprised at how much I liked it.

There's a lot of stuff to do and see in KL. We were there for four days and felt like we barely scratched the surface. When you get tired of the heat and of cultural sightseeing and just need Western conveniences, that's there too, from big shopping malls to movie theaters playing English language films to a good range of restaurants. Oh, and for sight seeing, the bird sanctuary was amazing.

It's totally normal to feel thrilled and excited one moment and absolutely terrified the next. Leaving friends and family can be hard. I miss them most days (we're also expecting our first child any day now, so that's adding to the feelings), but remember why you decided to go overseas to begin with. Keep that in mind through the hard times. There will be good days and bad, but you're about to have an awesome adventure.
abarisme

Thank you!

Post by abarisme »

Awwwww, thank you for the kind words. Now, I'm getting excited again!
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Nervousness is definitely to be expected. I did not feel nervous until weeks before my big move to Russia. Then, I couldn't sleep and started feeling very anxious. However, things quickly improved once I arrived here and I have been having a blast. Best of luck to you!
PsyGuy

Normal

Post by PsyGuy »

Its very normal, id be more worried if you werent nervous.

Malaysia is very hot and humid, finding good antiperspirant was hard for me. I was in KL and its a very modern city lots of available imports. The malay people are very social but very driven and have high work expectations, they are always working. You might feel over whelmed at first, and a couple teachers i knew burned out after living in KL. They got great support from their admin, students were wonderful but there marriage/home life suffered and making KL a career wasnt going to happen.